Sleep or shut down?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 88888888, Jul 2, 2008.

1. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

I usually never turn off my computer. I just put it to sleep mode. Is it better to shut it down every night? or putting into sleep mode is fine? :confused:

2. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Doesn't really matter. Some people might say restarting puts strain on the battery but I don't know about that.

Choose whatever you want. People on here prefer sleep I think.

I chose to shut down everytime though.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

This is an age old question that will probably spark a lot of responses.

So here's my answer... sleep. It's rumored shutting down and starting back up will wear on the drive. Whether or not that's true, I don't know. Frankly I don't care, but it's really just more convenient to put my Mac to sleep. Much faster to wake up and get going!

4. 88888888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yea im just wondering, which one would be better for my battery and computer.

5. rlm22b macrumors member

rlm22b

I had heard some things about the strains of shutting down computers a lot. I used to shut down all the time seeing that I was used to it with Windows, as of late though I only sleep my MBP. I've gone up to a week without shutting it down(Did it on accident :() and it runs just smooth as a fresh boot. I'm at 5 days without shutting down at the moment. Bypassing the boot process is another plus.

6. bandaros macrumors member

Never heard of the HD wearing down thing - interesting if it's true...

I just put mine to sleep as well - faster to wake it up rather than boot it cold...

7. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Anyone else have more problems with lockups and kernel panics on their intel machines than ppc waking from sleep?? I'm just having terrible luck with my MBP, especially with USB devices and sleep/wake causing kernel panics. The thing can't go a week without one or two. My little powerbook chugs along for 2 weeks at a time between restarts (updates usually) before it even starts acting a little sluggish. This is a new penryn mbp too. I'm thoroughly disappointed.

8. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I've had a G4 iBook, MB 2.0, MB 2.2, MBA 1.6, and MBP 2.5; all of my machines go for weeks on end with no glitches or "sluggishness" and I sleep all of them. I've also never had a kernel panic related to sleep, or waking up. And I've used all of mine in a "docked" way as well: plugging/unplugging power, usb devices, bluetooth controllers, and external monitor while sleeping and awake.

No problems at all.

9. tdevers macrumors regular

I usually just put mine to sleep. It goes a week or two before restarting. At least until recently when my mouse disappears when waking from sleep. Its still there, just not visible.

10. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

This disappoints me. Not that you have no problems, i'm happy about that, but that I AM haha This is my replacement MBP bc my first one kept having power issues. I don't think I've had a KP since 10.5.4 so maybe it was a software issue. Think I should call Aplcare if it happens again tho?

11. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Yeah I'm having the mouse problem too!!

12. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Hmm... I never have a problem with sleep on mine.

13. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Another vote for sleep. I like the quicker response time that sleep offer vs shut down

14. dtblaze macrumors regular

Sleep 24/7 and restart or shut down like at least once a month is proper i think.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only time I've ever shut down my MBP, iBook, Powerbook was when I traveled, i.e., going to the airport. All of my laptops lasted years with no tale tell sign of excessive wear.

With the advent of the SSD, it makes sleeping even easier and less risky (no hard drive to crash).

16. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I do that, but weekly instead of monthly. I have not noticed any change in performance. I'm just so used to rebooting often with Windows...

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

Why would you say this? Isn't the HDD spun down and parked in Sleep mode on Macs as it is in Suspend mode on a Windows laptop? How is that functionally different from Hibernate or Power-Off in terms of the hard drive (I know the differences elsewhere).

18. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That makes no sense at all. Sleeping is not futile, whether you choose to do it or not.
    There is no "proper" method. Some only use sleep and never shut down or restart for months at a time, with no negative effects.
    Resurrect a 2 1/2 year old thread to post a link to a 2 1/2 year old article. How "current" of you!

20. jimba macrumors newbie

I usually put my mbp on sleep during night time and shut it down only if I plan not using it for like 2 days or if I have to take it somewhere. I guess I'm doing fine :D

21. BigMoo macrumors member

Use mine throughout the day and when im not using it i just put it to sleep, then when i go to bed i just plug this bad boy in to the AC charger. Wake up the next morning unplug and do it all over again, works just fine for me. I only restart it for major updates, that's about it.

22. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I usually have mine on sleep but I do a shut down on those rare occasions when I'm not going to use it for a few days. I think there's some advise given in the MBP's accompanying manual.

23. aCondor, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011

aCondor macrumors 6502

It's probably just a force of habit learned from my father ("Turn that TV off! You'll wear out the bulb! Turn the computer off! It only has so many hours! Turn off that... and that...!") but I always turn things OFF when I'm not using them.

Sure it may be convenient to have your laptop in sleep mode 24/7, but somewhere in the back of my mind I'm subconsciously counting down the seconds until my electronics "expire." It's a rough life.

Haha. I just noticed this thread is from 2008... I hope the OP sees this and his/her question is finally answered. :rolleyes:

24. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

I restart my Mac whenever I get 1MB of swap because I'm afraid it's going to hurt my Vertex 2. Seriously, lol.