512/16GB RMBP less battery life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmcnelly, Jun 19, 2012.

1. rmcnelly macrumors regular

I'm upgrading from a 2011 13" MBA and am worried about battery life on the RMBP. I'd like to get the 2.6/512/16GB model because I need the extra storage space.

I use Aperture with NIK plug-ins and 4GB RAM gets used up right away on the MBA. I'm considering going all the way to 16GB but am worried this will kill battery life. Apple Insider just tested the model I'm considering and only got 6 hours out of it using what appears to be a standard test that another online test easily got 7 hours of use with a 2.6/256/8GB model.

Was it the extra SSD space or RAM that used up the juice?

I enjoy being able to use the MBA for general email/web surfing without having to plug it in. Photo editing uses up the battery quickly.

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

A higher spec CPU can use more battery, the SSD and RAM should make no difference.

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Will the battery life be lower, yes. Will it be enough to notice or even measure, likely not. More bits that require power will use more juice but those pieces are going to be a miniscule amount more.

4. dblissmn macrumors regular

Ssd?

Most SSD tests I've ever seen show power consumption increasing with capacity in any given series. I shouldn't be surprised if that's what's going o here. Not sure what the impact of the higher power processor would be; if it runs better at a given power setting or can use more juice without crashing.

5. rmcnelly thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys,

After spending some time using Aperture on a friend's older MBP w/6GB RAM I've decided get the 16GB model. Edits and undos use up available RAM pretty quickly.

The quickest way to save battery on my MBA is to turn the display brightness way down, usually only 3 bars.