512 Dvram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scottyfrombi, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Scottyfrombi macrumors member

I am not quite clear on the use for two 512 DVRAM drives on the MBP.
    I have last weeks' 15" MBP which seems to power my 30" monitor quite nicely with Aperture. Is there a speed bump with the video processor or will it handle more monitors or does it make the monitor look better somehow? Probably a dumb question but what is the extra Video ram needed for now in a MBP?

2. JWest macrumors 6502

The video card is the same in the updated MBP (still an 8600 GT). More vRAM will give you better performance only at higher resolutions or when more memory for texture data is needed. In other words, games might run better at higher resolutions or at higher detail settings, but other than that you won't notice the difference.

3. Scottyfrombi thread starter macrumors member

4. EricVT macrumors member

I'd be curious to see an A/B comparison between the 256 and 512 versions for some various applications. Wouldn't mind seeing the effect on gaming framerates, 3D rendering software speed (manipulating the scenes that is, not the actual final rendering), video editing, etc..

Maybe over the next few weeks someone will be able to share their experiences with the "updated" GPU.

5. Scottyfrombi thread starter macrumors member

Since Aperture is the most video card dependent software I have, is there anything to be gained by having 512 over 256. It seems that with all that video ram, the MBP should have two plugs for two external monitors.

6. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

I would expect that the difference from 256 to 512 would be minimal, if at all, for 2d applications... for 3d gaming, however, it would make a difference in highly detailed textures.

7. hooly macrumors regular

hooly

I am also running aperture (on a 24" external) and am interested in this quesiton