512 flash vs 1tb flash, would 1tb make a faster Mac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by itsjordand1, Jul 26, 2015.

1. itsjordand1 macrumors newbie

Im about to buy a 5k 27 inch IMac, Ill mainly use it for Music Production and downloading/streaming videos/music.

iv selected most specifications the best possible, which leaves Internal storage, i definitely want flash storage, so iv got 512 vs 1tb, i was gonna pick 1tb but then i thought it would be a relief to save £400! i can buy an extra 2tb hard drive storage for £75!, however if the internal 1tb makes the actual running and browsing of the Mac faster in general then i think it'd be worth it.

if you could help me thatd be great guys, thanks!

2. Cape Dave macrumors 65816

I think your idea of saving money is correct. If it would be even a bit faster technically, I doubt that you or anyone could actually notice the difference. Get a nice cheap (but good) external SSD, put it in a external case and you will have super fast external storage, super fast internal storage, and some $$$ in your pocket!

3. itsjordand1 thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers!

4. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

There's no performance difference between the two. I like having plenty of extra room on my internal SSD which is why I went with the 1TB SSD, but it's really overkill. I was replacing a 7 year old Mac Pro, so I wanted to for the full Monty, but 512 is plenty. Save the $400