512 GB ssd or 256 with optibay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by afinch1992, Sep 21, 2012.

1. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

Im planning on getting a 13" 2012 MBP and am not sure what combination would be best. I dont need the optical drive anyways, so Its a bit of a toss up for me right now. I'm going to have more than 256GB of data, I know that for sure. Im just not sure what will be more cost effective and efficient for daily use. I also plan on getting a usb3.0 external drive, but I like to have most of my data on me at all times.

thanks!

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If you think external drive can optibay can help go with a smaller drive.
    If you think it wont, buy a bigger drive.

3. afinch1992 thread starter macrumors 6502

afinch1992

what would be the advantage or disadvantage of either? if someone has had both configurations, what is the one that you would recommend?

4. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

If you can afford the 512 SSD then go for it. It will save you the hassle of installing the opti-bay and deciding which files to store on it and where your application folders are etc. I find that having all my photo's on my SSD is a real perk in terms of load time. Plus, you never know when one of your retro friends will want you to burn them a CD. Oh, and save the external for your Time Machine backups.

5. thespazz macrumors 6502a

http://amzn.to/OJs5Jh I say get this drive and the optibay. Honestly, the price increase on the 512 is far too high. Having the option of the optibay as storage is really great because you don't have to be concerned about 'space' in the 512.

6. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Really?

If you're open to going either way, I don't understand why you'd want to mess with the Optical Drive. Putting it in is one thing but every time you have to take your MBP in for warranty work will require you to put the ODD back in.

512gb is cheap right now.

7. afinch1992 thread starter macrumors 6502

afinch1992

im just not sure which would be the most efficient use of funds, since the 512 route would cost 50% of what I'm going to be paying for the entire laptop, I didnt want to be spending unnecessarily, especially if I would end up with more total memory with the cheaper route.

ive never run two hdd on one computer before, but I am open to anything provided relative reliability and cost savings. I know what it is like in theory, but I have not personally had experience either way and do not know and of the problems nor advantages gained by either set up other than the price and total memory capacity

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

sounds like you made your mind up then.

9. afinch1992 thread starter macrumors 6502

afinch1992

I think I'm confusing myself now. What would be your suggestion based off of everything? I dont want to save $100 now and then spend $200 later on a bigger drive.

Is it practical for daily use to have a smaller ssd and an optibay? how would my files be spread through the two drives?

im sorry for all the questions guys, I just have no experience with this kind of thing

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Many here do just that putting OSX on the SSD for improved performance. That said, I don't think it's worth the hassle these days given plummeting SSD prices. A while back when 64GB cost an arm and leg that was different.

Unless you just hate the ODD being there, I'd leave it alone and run everything off a single drive like god intended.

Like 2 separate drives. :D If you're thinking the drives would behave like "one", they won't.

You can certainly go the Optibay way if you want. Lots of instructional information around to make it relatively painless. Were I to do this it would be because 1TB SSD's are way to pricey but I could certainly manage a 2nd 512GB. But even at that, once my MBP dies I won't be able to transfer those drives to a new machine because those new MacBooks will probably be sealed.