512 is sooo s l o w...

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2005
1,467
1
Bay Area
I've posted recently about a RAM incident I (still have) with my PB. The 1GB stick I bought from newegg.com died on me. I went from 1.5GB to 512... Due to midterms and other things, I have not had time to resolve this issue, consequently I also haven't had time to do anything heavy on my PB.

But today I did... and its SO PAINFUL!

How did I ever manage with only 512?

Things take forever to start up, switch apps, Dashboard lags (even the ripple!!!)... iTunes sometimes skips :eek:

My pro apps are now a pain to use. UGH!

But enough complaining. The RAM I bought is from Kingmax, and they claim lifetime warranty. I emailed them Sunday (I think) and still no answer.

Has anyone dealt with Kingmax?
How's their repair service?
I accidently called Kingston and they were very nice about it, but Kingmax doesn't have a phone number (that I know of).

Do any of you have it (if there is)?
Please share...
 

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2005
1,467
1
Bay Area
I did something really stupid. I threw away the box the RAM came in and the paper inside the box with the RAM... I'm going to need it aren't I? :eek:


DAMNIT!

I honestly thought that I would just slap on a mem stick close the PB's lid, and forget about it forever... *sigh*
 

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
321
0
Virginia, U.S.A.
blaskillet4 said:
I did something really stupid. I threw away the box the RAM came in and the paper inside the box with the RAM... I'm going to need it aren't I?

DAMNIT!
:eek: Yeah, you're going to want your invoice to make the return. Don't buy off-brand RAM if possible; you'll be left with a worthless chip and nonexistent technical support (as you've experienced). Good luck with this... 512 MB is only a tiny speck of RAM in certain application settings, especially when running many apps.
 

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
4,360
367
I have the new iBook 14" w/ 512MB on the mobo, and to tell you the truth, I think it's great :) I do actually a lot of Photoshop usage and iMovie.
The 1GB stick i ordered at Crucial (7-10 day wait b4 it ships :( ) i think is going to blow me away :)

I can't wait! :D
 

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
1,372
8
Rome
iTunes skips?! What else are you running when this happens? Running with only 512 MB should not cause iTunes to skip... sounds like something else might be the problem...
 

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
2,537
0
England
I've got 512MB of RAM and iTunes, MSN messenger, Safari, Dashboard and Appleworks are working fine all at the same time. Oh and the processor is on reduced.
 

maik

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2005
8
0
Pori, Finland
Yeah, 512 sucks bananas! I bought another 512 mb and it says I have 1 gb of memory BUT. It is as slow as it was before I installed it! Do you have any idea why it is so? Or am I just blind and dont get it?
 

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
3,068
70
I would guess you have a different issue causing some problems. One of my towers has 256 in it, and iTunes would never skip, even if other things would start to bog down. That said, even at 256, I was able to run a lot of apps simultaneously without any problems.
 

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
822
0
maik said:
Yeah, 512 sucks bananas! I bought another 512 mb and it says I have 1 gb of memory BUT. It is as slow as it was before I installed it! Do you have any idea why it is so? Or am I just blind and dont get it?
You may need to repair permissions in Disc Utility. My wife is still using my old G3 PB with no problems. Every now and then I have to run a repair on the permissions and everything runs smoothly for her.
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,568
0
blaskillet4 said:
I did something really stupid. I threw away the box the RAM came in and the paper inside the box with the RAM... I'm going to need it aren't I? :eek:


DAMNIT!

I honestly thought that I would just slap on a mem stick close the PB's lid, and forget about it forever... *sigh*
Did you happen to pay by Credit Card? If so you should still have a record. That is you bill. Maybe a phone number would listed on your Credit Card bill. Some of mine do, very handy. I wish you luck.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
Wow I'm still using a PC running on 24MB of EDO RAM. I can do almost everything on it, mail, internet, games, photoshop work, web design, etc. Do macs really need a lot of RAM to function properly?
 

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
521
0
Oxfordshire, UK
Lacero said:
Wow I'm still using a PC running on 24MB of EDO RAM. I can do almost everything on it, mail, internet, games, photoshop work, web design, etc. Do macs really need a lot of RAM to function properly?
And I'm sure if you loaded it up with XP and all the other junk needed to get the functionality MacOSX has you'd need at least 512Mb too :D
 

Kelson

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2002
87
11
Dallas, TX
Yep, it sure is...

I've got a 1ghz TiBook w/ 1GB of RAM.

We just bought my wife one of the new 12" (1.33ghz) iBooks and only put 512MB of RAM.

I have a Radeon 9000, she has the Radeon 9550. She has 33% more processor, but half the RAM and I have to say, my TiBook blows her iBook away in "perceived performance". Both running the latest update to Tiger.

I figure I'll pick her up another gig of RAM in a few months, as a nice little present.

- Kelson
 

drsuse

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2004
67
0
i have 512 right now on my 1.67 pb...i know i'd see a big improvement if i upgraded the ram but i can't afford it or justify it right now.

i had about 425,000 pageouts yesterday
 

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2005
1,467
1
Bay Area
wdlove said:
Did you happen to pay by Credit Card? If so you should still have a record. That is you bill. Maybe a phone number would listed on your Credit Card bill. Some of mine do, very handy. I wish you luck.
No, I payed with a check... I think is still have the returned check somewhere (for records).

Not returned as in bounced, its been cashed.

Will that help?

Oh, and I saved the order confirmation as a pdf when I ordered it.
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,568
0
blaskillet4 said:
No, I payed with a check... I think is still have the returned check somewhere (for records).

Not returned as in bounced, its been cashed.

Will that help?

Oh, and I saved the order confirmation as a pdf when I ordered it.
That should be adequate documentation to request the replacement of the bad memory. Hopefully you have a phone number on the order confirmation.
 

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
2,126
1
Indiana
I have a 1.67GHz 15" PowerBook on the way and I ordered a 1GB Kingston stick for it already. I plan on playing WoW and running QuarkXPress on a regular basis so I am sure I will need it.... especially considering I can't live without iTunes :p
 

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
4,714
20
Russia
telecomm said:
iTunes skips?! What else are you running when this happens? Running with only 512 MB should not cause iTunes to skip... sounds like something else might be the problem...
Yea I agree with telecomm. Even my old iBook 300 MHz with 320 MB RAM running Jaguar didnot skip in iTunes :eek: :D
 

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
1,280
1
Alpine, UT
My iTunes stalls/skips rarely, but it's generally when the processor is swamped, for example (I had put 'ie'...but, we know what that stands for, so, I shouldn't say those words), something is pretty much using all of it.
 

ajampam

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2005
122
0
I have a 12'PB w/ 512mb....wanted to upgrade it, but have always put it off coz cant afford apple roght now, but am not really sure about any third party ram guys...can I get any advice on which sellers can be trusted!?
 

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
832
0
Lacero said:
Wow I'm still using a PC running on 24MB of EDO RAM. I can do almost everything on it, mail, internet, games, photoshop work, web design, etc. Do macs really need a lot of RAM to function properly?
I hope this is a joke. You must be running Microsoft Mail, Netscape 3, Independence Day: The Game, Photoshop 4, and the Geocities web designer.
 

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
2,537
0
England
ajampam said:
I have a 12'PB w/ 512mb....wanted to upgrade it, but have always put it off coz cant afford apple roght now, but am not really sure about any third party ram guys...can I get any advice on which sellers can be trusted!?
Crucial and Kingston are the ones to go for :)
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.