512 SSD from 15 inch rMBP

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tommy0614, Jan 28, 2013.

1. tommy0614 macrumors member

Would it be possible to remove the 128 ssd from the 27 inch fusion drive imac and replace it with the 512 ssd from a 15 inch macbook pro retina and keep the hard drive?

2. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

No

3. tommy0614 thread starter macrumors member

4. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

Just wondering, how are you sure of this?

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I would like to know this as well.

Please share your source of information that this won't work.

6. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

Try it and you'll find out

but seriously, it won't. The Retina MacBook Pro doesn't have an SSD persay. It has "flash storage." Works exactly the same, but is a proprietary unit designed to work specifically with the rMBP. It has a different form factor

the new iMac on the other hand, has a traditional 2.5" SSD, in addition to a conventionally spinning hard drive.

Look closely on Apple's website. They use both the nomenclature "Flash Storage" and "SSD" on different products. They indicated different things.

Even so, check out iFixit's tear down of the rMBP. It's not easy to take apart and removing the flash storage would be difficult. Putting it into the iMac would be difficult as well. Not sure about this, but If I recall correctly, only the 27" has accessible Memory and neither have accessible storage.

7. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

incorrect the ssd isnt 2.5 hd..its the blade type they use in mbpr i Believe. please check the rip your imacs open thread.

8. kaellar macrumors 6502

jeezus christ.. these posts by Shadow%20Mac and shenan1982 are totally incorrect and are from those who didn't even bother themselves to look at teardown photos..

the correct answer is YES, YOU CAN!
    both new 21.5 and 27 iMacs have one 2.5/3.5 HDD bay respectively and the place and connector for the blade ssd of the same form-factor as rMBPs have.

9. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Not to mention that installation/removal of the SSD is not all that difficult ... it involves a plug-in card and a screw to hold it in place. :rolleyes:

10. kaellar, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013

kaellar macrumors 6502

Indeed, there's nothing more difficult than removing ten screws, removing the battery connector and removing a blade ssd itself. Two minutes of totally unbearable difficulty:D

11. tommy0614 thread starter macrumors member

Well these responses got me real interested since I started this thread. I called apple tech. service and with a lot of transfering got a hold of a friend of mine who use to live in Augusta ga. near me. He is now a techinal service manager for Apple in Texas. His speciality is fusion drive. His answer to me was the 128, 256 and 512 flash drives are all interchanable in the 13 and 15 retina models. He also said, although he has not tried it as yet, he sees no reason that these could not be installed in the Imac. According to him the 128 flash up to the 768 are all interchanable.

12. Tri-stan macrumors 6502

That is because they do want us to get a £2000 machine for £1800 and saving money on a more powerful ssd. These people dont understand that with a bit of effort this is a easy process. I am thinking of buying a iMac 2012 service pack of vhm strips and breaking it for ebay to ship worldwide as they are currently none available. I dont know if anybody would be interested in strips for both imacs?

This sounds really good, another guy on rip these imac's open is going to try with an owc drive so cross fingers for that one, another user said that they could not get it to turn on for some reason.