512 vs 256

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Crosbie, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

2. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

I don't think anyone was ever claiming it makes the slightest piss all difference in single app speed. The problem that will present itself (much sooner on the iPad) is multitasking, which your "article" points out.

The average footprint of an app on the iPad is much larger than the equivalent iPhone/iPod app, ergo 256MB of RAM is more of an issue for multitasking. For the smaller iPod it really doesn't matter.

3. lozpop macrumors 6502

The article says that if I open five apps in the iPod touch, when I want to come back to the first I've opened, it could have to re-launch the app.

Does it mean that the first app stops completely his "freeze" status in the background? :confused:

If this is true, it would be weird, considering that a lot of people will ask why the app have to re-launch from the start.

Didn't Apple find a way to multitask in a "lighter" way, freezing apps?

4. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

I know for sure that I can't stream netflicks on my iPad but can nicely on my iP4...

5. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

That's odd. My wife streams Netflix to her iPad all the time.

6. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I do too. The only time I have an issue with it is if my wifi signal is weak.

7. TOYSTER17 macrumors regular

Netflix streams just fine on my Ipad, even the "HD" ones. Never had a problem. I occasionally even stream from my laptop to my iPad with Air Video.

8. iThinman macrumors regular

This.

Either way, I could really care less honestly. The iOS4 multitasking is poor and I will still be disabling it and running backgrounder + pagefile regardless.

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

The Netflix on iPad works fine for me.

10. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

My Netflix is also awesome on my iPad.

However, Netflicks is terrible! :p

11. Crosbie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I'd rather most apps just shut down as they used to rather than hanging around in frozen state. I'm really not fussed about a second or two of loading time, if that's what we're missing out on with 512mb of memory.

Some are just talking as if the iPad is now somehow crippled in comparison to iPhone 4, and this seemed like some healthy counter-evidence, that's all.

I take the point about iPad apps having a larger memory footprint in theory, though I wonder what the practical difference is.

12. pika2000 macrumors 68030

RAM is not just about speed or multi-tasking. Some newer games do require quite a bit of RAM, and if you don't have enough free RAM, the game wont' launch or it just crashes, forcing you to reboot the iPad to run the game. So 512MB (or better, just do 1GB) is welcomed. Games will be able to use higher res textures, etc.

Oh, and maybe Safari will be able to keep at least a page cached. ;)

13. newdeal macrumors 68020

14. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

256MB Ram

The 256MB of RAM is quite bothersome in my opinion. Especially since the iPhone 4 was launched a few months later with 512.

When I sync my iPad and iTunes 10 asks for permission to send info to Apple, I always view the details. Usually it's 25% are crash logs and 75% low memory messages. I therefore draw the conclusion that the iPad has too little RAM.

BTW, I accidentally forgot to uncheck that option to never see again. Anyway to revert back to seeing all the error logs?

Safari always refreshing pages can be either a website prompt or a low memory situation. I find it very annoying!

Also having several Safari pages open and then loading a embedded youtube video has already caused 3 crashes in just the past 2 hours.

I can't wait to install 4.2 in a couple of minutes. :D

15. rkahl macrumors 65816

I just watched "Dear John" over Netflix with only a couple of hiccups, oh did I mention it was all streamed using 3G!

16. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

I guess that iPad with multitasking will start showing the same problems iPhone 3G had with iOS 4.
    And I also guess that Apple will release an updated version of iPad, with more memory, by Xmas, to better take advantage of the new OS.