512GB or 1TB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MN7119, Oct 24, 2013.

1. MN7119 macrumors regular

Struggling to decide. I have lots of pictures, musics and videos and I want my MacBook to last couple years. Thoughts?

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

3. MN7119 thread starter macrumors regular

600GB but I am sure I can move lots of my files into a NAS

4. Formativeyears macrumors member

It's always best to buy as much computer as you can afford. If you can afford 1TB, go for it. I went with the 1TB since I'm currently about 50 GBs away from filling up the 500 GB HDD that I installed in my 2008 Macbook. Storage is always an issue for me since I have a lot of digital content and don't want to worry about running out of space (or dealing with the hassle of an external drive.)

5. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Apple's SSD prices are still a bit exaggerated right now, and this is the one part of your MacBook you can actually upgrade later if you want.

If money's a factor, get the 512GB and some external storage and upgrade in a year or two if you feel you need to.

6. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

If you get 512GB now, there is no guarantee that you can upgrade in a year or two. Remember that Apple makes proprietary PCIe SSD. As of right now, the only third party is OWC which had compatible SSDs for the 2012 RMBP and they don't even get anywhere close to the 768GB SSD that is out. For all you know, an even faster standard could come out in a year or two and you won't be able to necessarily "upgrade" unless you find it on ebay, which may or may not be safe.

Let us know what you decide to go with!