512GB SSD vs. 7200rph drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pspiegel, May 31, 2010.

  1. pspiegel macrumors member

    Jul 25, 2006
    I have been doing some research into the availability of the SSD options available after market to put in my 17in MBP.

    I briefly mentioned it to an apple store genus when I was ordering a computer with the 7200rpm drive and he comment he heard the SSD option was slower/had issues. Can anyone shed some light on the benchmarks/scoop with this as this is contrary to everything I've heard about SSD for years.

  2. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

    Jun 29, 2008
    that mac 'genius' is a dofus
    ssd's are faster than a 7200 rpm drive
    even tho apple ssd's are slow to other options on the market
  3. Zortrium macrumors 6502

    Jun 23, 2003
    The major thing about SSDs is that (unlike regular hard drives, which are all pretty similar) they aren't mostly the same across manufacturers. In particular, the bad ones degrade in performance very quickly, which the good ones continue to maintain very good performance. I know that at least initially (like when the MacBook Air was first introduced with an SSD option), Apple was using crappy SSDs in their build-to-order machines. That may have changed now, but I'd do my research before buying an SSD from Apple.

    A good SSD will absolutely obliterate any 7200 rpm drive. A bad one will probably outperform it as well, but isn't worth the markup.
  4. pspiegel thread starter macrumors member

    Jul 25, 2006
    I figured as much. Has anyone seen any good benchmarks so I am able to tell what the aftermarket drive will compare to 7200 rpm's 500GB's? Curious how much the 1k+ really buys...

    Also, who would anyone recommend to be the "faster" drive option out there now?
  5. kasakka macrumors 68020

    Oct 25, 2008
    Even the slower SSDs are much faster than 7200 RPM drives. At the moment the best choices seem to be the Intel X25-M and the various drives with Indilinx controllers.
  6. Opstech macrumors 6502a


    Jan 5, 2010
    Unless money isn't an option, I would hold off on the 512 SSD for about six months. Hopefully by then, they'll be more affordable.
  7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040


    Mar 27, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Here is what my Xbench runs show:

    Attached Files:

  8. dsprimal macrumors 6502a


    Mar 27, 2010
  9. Rithem macrumors 6502


    Jun 29, 2008
    omg.... that is ridiculous. Too expensive though :mad:
  10. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a


    Mar 4, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I think intel are meant to release 300gb+ SSDs this year. I'd wait for them.
  11. Tom71 macrumors regular


    Apr 27, 2010
    Thanks for this, I've just upgraded to the same SSD. I mean, not that there's much choice, there was exactly two I could choose from at this size ;)

    What I really love is

    a) the temperature of the MBP case dropped quite a bit
    b) the vibration is finally gone !!!!
    c) yes of course its fast ;)

Share This Page