512mb of ram...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by studIOS5, Oct 14, 2011.

1. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

This morning as I made my morning commute to school, I got all exited to use my brand new spotify app. Now I am one that believes that the multitasking system on the iphone is genius and that it preserves battery life, all while doing exactly what you want it to do, multitask. You're not going to know if an app is paused if it is in the background and not in use. However, god forbid, if another app is running in the background and you are doing other tasks such as checking mail or receiving a text I am finding that my iphone is having a hard time keeping up. Now, correct me if I am wrong, and this is a carrier issue, but while I was listening to spotify on my way to school this morning, every time I received an email or a text message, my music from the spotify app would pause/ skip. This is quite the annoyance. I have never run into a problem like that until now.

ok, rant OVER thanks for your time :)

2. blue43fan macrumors regular

3. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

What makes you think that 1GB would resolve your problem? Can you provide any scientific facts?

4. studIOS5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

I did have full bars of 3g coverage as I do ever morning when driving to school. Also, I have no scientific evidence that supports that to upgrade to 1gb of ram would solve anything, I'm just so used to having apple products "just work" and this was just a little disappointing thats all. I'm not trying to start a fight here, just pointing out a shortcoming from apple in a sense that they can put more ram in their products, but they choose not to. perhaps this is because they feel it isn't needed, or some other unknown reason. either way., it was disappointing. thats all

5. blue43fan macrumors regular

I can absolutely guarantee you that 512mb of RAM is enough to play music and do other things at the same time. One huge drawback of installing more RAM than is needed, battery life suffers. Especially on mobile devices. I'm willing to bet either the stream didn't buffer correctly, or maybe you encountered a glitch.

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/10/12/ram-energy

6. Type X macrumors regular

I'd be more worried about service in Location: Oregon, OH before the ram in a new device.

7. studIOS5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

Oregon is very close to Toledo and I have excellent AT&T coverage in my area, so I'm not too worried about that. and also thanks blue43fan for clearing that up..i had no idea it had such an effect on battery and i really hope its a glitch

8. protobiont macrumors 6502a

How much ram does the 4 have? I've used spotify quite a bit on that phone and never run into any issues while multitasking.

9. studIOS5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It has 512mb of ram