512mb vram as to 256vram does make a difference in gaming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Mar 23, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I just read this, http://www.macworld.com/article/132330/2008/03/macbookpro_bench.html

"The new 15-inch 2.5GHz MacBook Pro was quite a bit faster across the board than that build-to-order 2.6GHz system—more than 8 percent faster, in fact, in Speedmark, and 23 percent faster in Photoshop. Doubling the video memory also helped the new 2.5GHz MacBook Pro best the older build-to-order machine in our Unreal Tournament test by a whopping 34 percent."

Not a HUGE devastating one but a fairly noticable gain I'd say.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I still think the extra VRAM is junk and a waste of money.

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I keep reading about people saying that gddr3 can handle 256 wide bit bandwidth.. as to the gddr2 having a 128-bit bandwidth..isnt the 8600m gt gddr3?? Oh well either way its now been proven that it DOES make a difference.

4. pionata macrumors 6502

Probably just a few frames per sec in 1900x1200 resolution (but the video card processor may dip below 30fps at the res anyway)...

Not worth the money. Much better to boost the base model with 4 gigs of ram. Now that makes a difference.

5. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I guess I'm just going to have to conduct my own test to see if it makes any difference, first I'm curious to how well it will drive the 23" acd.. as to the 2.4ghz sr model that I had.. I mean dont get me wrong the 2.4ghz sr mbp drove the monitor just fine.. just that sometimes the expose stutters or lags second.

And when I run the 2.4ghz in closed "clam shell" mode it runs the 23" acd much faster but I'm curious with 512vram with using both monitors it will drive the 23" acd just as fast as the 2.4ghz sr mbp with the clam shell mode, it would be interesting.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Did anybody else see the HandBrake numbers on the G4 PowerBook compared to any of the MacBook Pros? Wowsas. I noticed a severe speed bump going from a Mac Mini to a C2D MBP, but I had no idea is was that much.

I wonder how fast those 8-core Mac Pros do that stuff..

7. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

8 core mp can do them very very VERy fast :D