Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loompy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Would there be much if any performance difference between the video memory configs in the cMBP 15 inch models? I was planning on getting the hi-res 1680x1050 screen either way, and my understanding was that if the screen wasnt 1080p resolution that 512mb would suffice?

The most intensive use would be Illustrator or Photoshop, and World of Warcraft.

Fatt

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2012
Miami/Gainesville, FL
Would there be much if any performance difference between the video memory configs in the cMBP 15 inch models? I was planning on getting the hi-res 1680x1050 screen either way, and my understanding was that if the screen wasnt 1080p resolution that 512mb would suffice?

The most intensive use would be Illustrator or Photoshop, and World of Warcraft.

If your not planing on running any newer more intensive games, 512mb should be fine at that res, especially if your just playing wow. However more modern games would need a full 1GB at that res, and with the rMBP 1gb isn't near enough for 2880x1880 either, ideally you would want at least 2GB. However games look great on my rMBP at 1200p, which 1gb is pretty sufficient, but could use more for some games.

As for illustrator and photoshop, I'm not even sure if they have CUDA support in OS X yet. However if it does, the more VRAM the better.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.