Resolved 52GB of "Other" Storage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danwass, Dec 4, 2014.

1. danwass, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014

danwass macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I have recently come across an issue that is driving me up the wall.

Firstly, I will mention I have an iPhone 4s, 64GB and iTunes Match so there is no music, videos, or anything of significant size on my iPhone.

What has been giving me issues is that for some reason all of the space on my device is taken up. At first I thought maybe I had downloaded music from iTunes Match and that I just needed to clear it. But that wasn't the case. I then plugged my device into the computer and opened iTunes to discover that 51.72 GB worth of space is taken up by "Other". I have attached an image of iTunes displaying this.

I tried to find out what "other" space really is and I am certain there is no way that much space is taken up by data files by apps I don't even use such as Mail, etc.

Does anyone have any advice to fix this without restoring my iPhone? I don't want to upgrade (in this case downgrade) to iOS 8 on my device because I know how much it will slow the phone down.

I have also tried going into settings and clearing all content and settings, etc. No luck.

Attached Files:

2. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

Maybe its time you upgraded to an iPhone 5S? All aside, I have had that problem. Try resetting the phone from General, reset. Then re-sync it.

3. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

4. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Go to settings --> video, sign out of home sharing, then sign in again.

This bug is apparently caused by video caches not deleting themselves after streaming. Until Apple patches this problem, this is probably the next best hack there is.

5. rigormortis, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

this happened to me before

what happened is when you turned on iTunes match , it was supposed to delete all the music on your phone, but instead it went to "OTHER"

your "other" is your old music library

before you do this, go to all your itunes libraries and click on update itunes match. just to be on the safe side
    i don't want to be blamed for you losing 60 gigs of music

go to the iPhone
    TURN OFF ITUNES MATCH

this will put all the "other" back in as music

maybe sync iPhone and make sure you click on 'transfer purchase' just in case something is on your phone thats not on your library.

delete all the music on your iPhone

TURN ON ITUNES MATCH

problem solved

i am 99 % certain that the 60 gigs of other you have on your phone is your old itunes library of sync'ed music

6. skyperbon macrumors regular

Download the 'battery doctor' app from the app store and use the junk cleaner to try and clear some of your 'other" storage space.

7. danwass thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you SO much! This solved it quickly.

Kind regards,

8. bushido Suspended

bushido

Wow i had no idea