$530 PB G4 re-listed...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by catzilla, Jun 18, 2014.

1. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

What's with the zero feedback bidders and the nickel bid increments?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL! Relisted for nonpayment! :D

I am typing this message on an A1013, 17" 1.0Ghz PowerBook, the same as in this auction. I have 4x the ram, twice the hard drive size and I bought mine for $152.50! Not $530!

In addition I have USB 2.0 ports (PCI card) and no power/PRAM battery issues.

What a joke!

3. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

It just goes to show how people think that just because it has a glowing Apple on it that it is automatically going to have the same price tag as a large pile of gold.

There is this guy on Kijiji selling a Titanium PowerBook G4 (He only has a photo of the top of it closed, but I can tell that it is Titanium by the way the back looks) with 512MB of RAM, it could have any of the processor speeds available. What is even worse is the fact that he advertises it as a 17" PowerBook, but I don't think there even was a 17" Titanium PowerBook.

He's selling it for $600. The ad was up for at least a few months now and it is quite clear that he has not had any success in selling it.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Nope, there never was a 17" TiBook. Just like there never was a 12" TiBook.

Both the 12" and the 17" were introduced at approximately the same time and they started the Aluminum line. The A1013 (1.0 Ghz) is the first 17" model.

The 15" was the last model size to convert to Aluminum. My son's 15" TiBook is just as fast as my 17" Albook. The only difference is that my AlBook can take 1GB more of ram.

Which brings me to another tip off for buyers…

One of the things these sellers cannot hide, except with outright lying is RAM. No PowerMac or PowerBook with the exception of the G5s can use more than 2GBs of ram. And some of the Albooks list 1GB as max even though they can support 2GB.

My point in bringing all that up that we already know is that if you buy a used or new Intel Mac these days the lowest amount of ram you're going to get is often much more than the max that the old PowerPC Macs could ever have!

So…when you're advertising a Mac for sale, implying that it's something it isn't or that it's a modern Mac, it's a big tip off when you indicate that it has less than 1GB of ram!

I don't know of any model of Intel Mac now that sells new with less than 1GB. 2-4GB seems to be a standard in the Mac/PC market now so if you're missing this when you get suckered it's probably because you weren't paying attention!

5. catzilla thread starter macrumors 6502

catzilla

6. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

8. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

The $530 was so over the top that if I were the seller, I would have been tempted to test just how binding a contract an ebay bid is.

Anybody know what is involved in forcing a deadbeat bidder to pay for the item?

9. catzilla thread starter macrumors 6502

catzilla

thatsthejoke.jpg

10. sarthak macrumors 6502

As if pricing is not high enough already... Here's a $1,000 PowerMac G5 1.8GHz!
    :eek::confused:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/151312148725

More:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/151261185102

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161257444431

$1,400 G5 Quad
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121364891951f

The units from eBay come with software installed but, if it doesn't come with discs, it's likely to be an unauthorized downloaded copy. Besides, much of it still can be had legally under $100 bucks with discs. Best deal is a local deal from Kijiji or Craigslist. Going rate is around $100 for most G5s.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That right there is what many sellers are counting on!

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

At least they are not total schmucks that would use the Mavericks wallpaper, or even worse, Yosemite's...

14. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

My favorite was the ebay listing I saw recently for a PowerBook G4 that said it was "LIKE A MACBOOK".

15. repentix macrumors regular

haha, my favorite was when a Powermac G4 listing said that it runs 10.5.8 snow leopard

16. catzilla thread starter macrumors 6502

catzilla

17. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

You can't force them to pay period. Even if they do pay they can get their money back just buy sending the item back to you. I had a guy do a chargeback 9 months later. I lost the item and the money. Paypal was no help at all.

18. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

Interesting since ebay makes the whole bidding process sound like a legally binding contract.

19. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

It's not. There are hundreds of ways for a dishonest person to get their money back. They can simply tell ebay you sent them an empty box. Case closed.

20. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

It looks like it sold for a more reasonable $122.50.

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, I'd probably be willing to pay that for it.

22. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

What sucks is that it's easy for sellers to get hosed under their system. I tried selling my 2008 MBP on eBay and within a few days got my full price. Of course, the guy then disappeared, his account was deactivated, and since I was a new seller, it still held the price I sold it for against me, so I had to wait 30 days to list it again even though the transaction was cancelled. This happened to me twice before I actually sold it successfully.

I cannot imagine how many people get ripped off through Craigslist, especially since it's easy to "accidentally" misrepresent an older model as a new one and not have it be obvious until they take it home.

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I just recently bought a $40 iBook from a business liquidator. One of my friends was concerned that I'd be ripped off. He's experienced with craigslist however and so has his own methods there to protect him.

I bring this up because from the buyer perspective what you are saying is actually my protection. And that's what I told my friend. The seller had a 99% rating and my purchase was covered by eBay protection. I'm not saying that your points are not valid. I agree, just mentioning the opposite side here. It is indeed weighted towards the buyer.

On the other hand, my wife dealt with a real bad seller a few months back. Seller sells my wife an item for ~$12. The item arrives broken (it's glass). So, my wife asks for some recompense through the messaging system, not even involving eBay at this point. The seller's father goes ballistic. Apparently this ~$12 item is some priceless artifact that his daughter, a first time eBay seller is taking a serious loss on.

So, my wife files a claim with eBay. Which gets the postal service involved. Which gets the father to looking for and finding my wife's unlisted cell number and making harrasing and angry phone calls to her threatening legal action and lawsuits from the Attorney General of New York. He's even demanding to know from her whether MY name is the right name of her husband!

So at some point a freaking US Postal Inspector is involved in all of this. The damn thing goes back and eBay reverses the charges. That was the end of it, thankfully, but I have to say that there is some good reason for a bias towards the buyer.

Just my two cents anyway.