Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikedavid00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Hello,

I noticed that there are two ram sticks that are almost identicle in performance but have a huge gap in price. In all my PC days we would always buy the slower RAM that had the better price and the difference wasn't noticable. So....

This is the cheapest I can get these sticks for in Canada.

Kingmax 1024MB PC4300 DDR2 533MHz SO-DIMM $119.99
Kingmax 1024MB PC5300 DDR2 667MHz SO-DIMM $169.00

If I go with the 4300, then it seems that I can talk my gf into letting me buy 2 sticks all together. :)

My question is, is the PC4300 RAM downwardsly compatible with
the PC5300 RAM? I don't see why not, but don't want to make any mistakes.

If I only got the single PC4300, would it co-exist well with the current 256mb in the other slot?

I don't want to spend more money where i don't have to.

Thanks,

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Try not to mix different memory sizes and speeds for the mini, as the modules actually run in dual channel configuration.

Mix and match will take that away and can impact system performance quite adversely.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Um, don't quote me on this but I think you've got the terms wrong. Backwards compatibility means newer stuff (5300) works on older (4300) systems. As such I doubt that 4300 will work on 5300 systems.

The faster RAM will probably work on an older system at slower speeds but I think the motherboard controls that speed so an MB designed to work with 667MHz RAM will try and pump the same speed through RAM not rated to go that fast and it will go blammo.

I wouldn't risk it just for saving a few bucks.

Wait till CanadaRAM chips in though, he's always a font of useful info about this sort of stuff.

OH yeah, as Generik says, the mini requires matched pairs of RAM to work at it's best. So to go from 512MB to 1GB you'll need 2x 512MB of 667MHz RAM.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
4300 ones will work on the new mini.

I tried it before, what will happen is your mini's memory bus will run at a slower speed to accomodate the slower modules.

mikedavid00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Chundles said:
Um, don't quote me on this but I think you've got the terms wrong. Backwards compatibility means newer stuff (5300) works on older (4300) systems. As such I doubt that 4300 will work on 5300 systems.

True, but I"m positive that i never bought the most expensive fastest ram or CPU. For instance, my current Ausus mainboard supports 800mhz front side bus, however, I'm using a 533 rated CPU and aslo using mixed ram speeds of PC2100 and PC2700 on differenct banks even then it can run faster DDR.

Now the way I see the Mac mini is the same with typical laptop style intel arcitecture. I agree that mixing bus speeds on the same bank could be bad.

Do you think I should buy it and see what happens? My issue is that there is a restocking fee if i have to return the ram is the mini doesn't boot up...

What do you think?

(ps - i've searched all over the net and can't find the answer to this)

mikedavid00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
generik said:
4300 ones will work on the new mini.

I tried it before, what will happen is your mini's memory bus will run at a slower speed to accomodate the slower modules.

Yes. I figured that the inetel chipset would have to comply with ISO/IEEE standards or whatever they are.

Ok I'm goign to get some 4300 RAM today. Maybe 2 1 gig sticks.. I'll let you know what happens.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Your mini has an integrated GPU. Due to this, it needs the fastest access to the memory possible, or the entire system will bog down. Choking the bus will not help you AT ALL. Go for the PC2-5300, or you will regret it when your mini is slowwwwwwww.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.