Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppmov46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
hello everyone
i thank you in advance for helping me because i am mentally insane freak when it comes to computers.. lol
on about june 20th, i bought a white macbook. First one scratched, called apple, told them it broke, sent me return label, repeated this twice. White macbook.. definitely not my computer. Then, i tried the black one. I got the first one, I swear it didn't scratch.. but the airport card was defective.. so i returned it and got the black macbook i have right now. Today is the last day I can return it... so.. do I:
A:Keep this computer.. even though fingerprints and oil make me crazy being the insane scratch freak..
or
B:Knowing there is a new computer coming out, wait like 2 months until the end of september and get the aluminum one with a glass trackpad.
I like this black macbook... but if I do have the ability to return it, and i KNOW that there is new model coming out... do I do it... or no.
Please get back to this ASAP because I repeat.. LAST DAY TO RETURN THIS ONE!
:confused:
thanks a lot for reading my crazy whim,
phil

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I just got a White MacBook one week ago, and couldn't be happier. I would just keep it instead of going through all of that trouble. But if you find that you are not happy with the MacBook you should return it. You may need to pay the 10% restocking fee though.

tmelvin

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
WOW...You are a freak! Seriously, I think you're OCD a bit...

I doubt the new ones will suit you either, because the trackpad area is supposed to be glass, and my guess is that you'd need several cases of Windex in your home...

Keep it, and enjoy it. It's a TOOL, not art or Ming Vase...

ppmov46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
btw

just so you all know.. there are no restocking fees and no losses. keep in mind i'm not throwing money away

glanv

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
WOW...You are a freak! Seriously, I think you're OCD a bit...

I doubt the new ones will suit you either, because the trackpad area is supposed to be glass, and my guess is that you'd need several cases of Windex in your home...

Keep it, and enjoy it. It's a TOOL, not art or Ming Vase...

And I thought I was a bit OCD!!

To OP, I was obsessed wit keeping my MacBook clean when I first got it, but now I just clean it every couple of weeks. I have had a good two years use out of it and it is still in fairly good condition. Now if a product is cosmetically defected when first bought (like my iphone!) that is a problem for me!

ppmov46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
and..

the macbook buyers guide recommends.. approaching life cycle get only if needed... that turns me off with this comp too. I really like it... but the thought of aluminum makes me drool. AND a glass trackpad.. wipe it with my shirt!!
btw... i do have a computer to use when and if i return this one.
REMINDER! LAST DAY IS TODAY! SO GIVE ME ANSWERS PEOPOEL!
thanks alot! :D

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
A:Keep this computer.. even though fingerprints and oil make me crazy being the insane scratch freak..
or
B:Knowing there is a new computer coming out, wait like 2 months until the end of september and get the aluminum one with a glass trackpad.
I like this black macbook... but if I do have the ability to return it, and i KNOW that there is new model coming out... do I do it... or no.
Please get back to this ASAP because I repeat.. LAST DAY TO RETURN THIS ONE!

It all depends on you. We don't really know what the new MacBook may have, and if it's just a processor and chipset update, you may not even notice it and wasted a bunch of cash on the restocking fee and maybe the new one would be more prone to fingerprints and smudges (which I hate too).

Or of course, there could be an awesome aluminum MacBook with a glass touchpad, but then again, it may also have a lot of glitches in it as most first releases do (when the MacBook and Pro were released, they had a high logicboard failure rate).

So basically, it's up to you. If you are happy with yours and aren't going to die if a new one is released and you don't have it, return it. If you are going to be happy with it for a few more years to come, new one or not (It can't be new forever), then keep it.

ppmov46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
again!

i repeat.. this computer is "broken".. so i don't have to pay any fees. I'm not wasting any money.

tmelvin

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
i repeat.. this computer is "broken".. so i don't have to pay any fees. I'm not wasting any money.

Then I guess you answered your own question. It's broken, send it back. I didn't see where u said it was broken though? Only that it had finger/grease prints. That's not broken, just dirty..

muldul

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2008
West Sussex, England, UK
First off, you don't KNOW anything when it comes to new apple products. SO you maybe waiting and giving up your macbook for nothing. If you just keep cleaning your black macbook it should look fine for a long while.

ppmov46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
no

it's not broken broken, i told apple it's broken so i don't have ot pay a restocking fee.

tmelvin

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
it's not broken broken, i told apple it's broken so i don't have ot pay a restocking fee.

OCD and Deceitful...what a combo...

Dude, you need help. You bought it, you own it. Take responsibility. Better yet, go buy a DELL....

magiic

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
San Jose
I'd just walk in front of a motor vehicle before you kill someone for sneezing in the same county as your macbook.

Vaphoron

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2004
Maryland
There are no guarantees as to when the new ones will be released so you may be waiting for a week or 3 months. If you can deal with that and you really want a newer model, you should return it.

RainForRent

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
Greenville, SC
An aluminum MB would kill the differentiation that Apple has kept between its consumer and professional laptops. Glass trackpads seem mighty fragile for a nutjob like yourself. Keep the blackbook, understand everything (even diamonds) can be scratched, and get on with it. Complaining a laptop is broken because it was scratched is deceitful and it's just obnoxious. Put a skin or a case on it, clean it after you use it if you want, and just stop. Cripes.

RainForRent

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
Greenville, SC
Why? When the iPod 5.5G changed to look like the iPod nano, did that "kill the differentiation"?

That is apples (ha!) and oranges, friend. Aluminum macbooks would jump the price point higher, aluminum isn't cheap. And ultimately, the concept of the Macbook is to be affordable for the everyday user. It would kill the differentiation in that the macbook would merely become a MBP with a smaller screen and integrated graphics. And that that is a dumb idea for a model lineup Apple has worked hard to put together. To compare a nano and classic? Okay– last I checked, the Ipod classic 1)still is not in different colors, and 2)is running higher amounts of memory on standard hard drives vs. flash memory. Enough differentiation. Seriously, I think a resurgence of something similar to the old 12" PB would be awesome, but I just really think that the current lineup doesn't have a place for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.