5400 vs 7200rpm HD external enclosure power requirements?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sprime1, May 4, 2011.

1. sprime1 macrumors member

I'm looking at purchasing a 2.5" hard drive and an external enclosure. The main feature i want is not having to use an AC adapter or a second USB port to power the drive.

Is there any evidence or research done to tell us, say that 5400 vs 7200rpm hard-drives require less power, so they don't need a secondary power supply?

For example, most 2.5" external hard-drives, like the WD Passport series, only require the 1 USB connection for power and data. How do i mimic this single USB connection with a bare-bone 2.5" drive and an aftermarket 2.5" enclosure??

Much Thanks!!

2. cube macrumors G5

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

If you are going the USB2.0 route there will be no benefits with 7200RPM over 5400RPM.

4. cube macrumors G5

I can power the Momentus XT in the OWC AL mini from FireWire.

5. sprime1 thread starter macrumors member

Firewire is not an option for me unfortunately. The main purpose of this new drive is to plug it into the USB port on my TV to watch movies. I currently have a 500gb WD Passport harddrive that is full, and requires no secondary power source. I'm looking to replicate this.

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The controller from my two year old WD Passport (was a 320GB) can power a Seagate Momentus XT.
    I put mine in the enclosure when I transfered users from the internal HD on my MBP.
    How much power the aftermarket enclosure provides should be about the same I guess and the WD Passport had a 320GB Scorpio Blue.

No guarantees but I guess it should work the same way.