5400rpm vs 7200rpm?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by MarkW19, Feb 15, 2008.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I recently returned my MBP 2.2 that had a custom 7200rpm HD drive in it (waiting for the Penryn). Doing my usual audio stuff in Logic and Mainstage, even with a LOT of samples/software instruments playing, the HD meter never really registered. It only registered when I was playing back one of the demo songs that had a lot of AUDIO tracks on them.

So, is it safe to say that if I'm mainly just using software instruments (which I am/was), that the HD speed isn't all that important? If so, I may get a larger capacity 5400rpm HD in my next MacBook Pro.

And, what about standard OS use (Finder, playing high definition movies, Safari, Final Cut Express/iMovie etc.), is there any noticeable speed difference between the 2 drives in normal situations?

What does anyone think?

Thanks.

2. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

In my experience, when recording/editing audio I prefer faster drives (7200rpm+) that are no running the OS (either external drive via FW or a separate internal drive).

For what you seem to be doing, I think a 5400rpm drive is acceptable. For everyday activities as well as audio you may notice a slight difference, especially when doing heavy reading/writing to the HD.

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

it also matters (a lot) what sample and bit rate you record at ...

i doubt you'll be able to do much at 24/96 ... but 24/48 or lower you'll probably be fine ....

Also, track count is going to be another big factor ...

4. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Re: Dock Pics

I upgraded MBP from a 120gb 5400rpm drive to a Hitachi Travelstar 7k200 and I can feel the difference. I use Logic 8, Photoshop, Aperture, InDesign, and Pro Tool LE. It was a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.

5. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the replies everyone, it looks like I'll be going for another 7200rpm in my new one!

BTW, anyone notice a noise increase when going from 5400 to 7200? I noticed a sort of random (but regular) 'tink tink tink' sound coming from my HD a lot. It wasn't the normal read/write clicking, very odd! It happened all the time directly before shutdown as well. Parking the heads or something?

6. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

all models make different noises ... i have one from samsung thats a "quiet drive" .... and it is indeed, quiet ... (but the fans are still loud) ...
    And i had one harddrive that made a really high pitch squeal ... (10k or so)

7. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I tossed a 10k drive because of this. The whine it made finally pushed me over the edge after a stressful week.

My two Toshiba drives (one 5400 and the other 7200) are about the same volume, with the 7200 being slightly louder. Neither exhibits any "tink" type noises.

8. gotzero macrumors 68040

I would highly recommend making the switch if you are recording onto the system drive.

I use an internal 7200 RPM travelstar, but this would not be the first on my list of upgrades. Maxing out your RAM would be a much better first choice.

9. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

I've got 4GB RAM waiting for my new MBP ;) Abd I'm not actually 'recording onto the system drive' as 95% of my music is just using software instruments.

But yeah, I'll go 7200 again, it just means waiting for the CTO, but I'll sort something for the meantime.

Thanks guys.