5400rpm vs. 7200rpm

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JWest, Feb 26, 2008.

1. JWest macrumors 6502

So, now that the new EMMBEEPEES are out (yay!), we got a choice between a 5400rpm 250GB drive and a 7200rpm 200GB drive. My question is, is the speed noticeable? I'd like all that space, but I think I'd rather have snappier performance. Not sure.

2. operator207 macrumors 6502

Go with the 7200 drive. It will be faster, and if you need more drive space, get an external. Keep what you need on the internal drive, and the extra stuff on the external.

3. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point, though I'm not a huge fan of external drives. I'd likely only use an external drive for time machine.

4. operator207 macrumors 6502

I was not either, the problem is, with a laptop, you can only have so much space (physical and HDD size), or you start getting to the point of not being portable. In my case, its more portable than not, and if I do not need the external drive, I do not take it with me. Though my laptop bag have enough room for that, my paperwork, misc. cables, and if needed 2 external drive bays.

I am glad I did use my external drive to backup my stuff (automated and manually), and put all my music and movies on it. My old Powerbook died, and I am stuck right now on a POS Compaq laptop my wife passed onto me when I bought a new laptop for her. I am using HFSExplorer to gain read access to my HFS+ formatted external drive. I can't write to it, but at least I can read from it. I have yet to get into the backup part of the drive that was automated. Most if what I am grabbing is movies and music. Maybe a program or two that is cross platform. (Find the program, goto website, get the Windows version kinda stuff)

5. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Over time as the 7200 HDD gets near capacity it will hurt performance. With todays 5400 RPMs the speed is starting to merge.

6. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Can you explain that? 5400 rpm is 5400 rpm, how do you get around the slower rotation?

7. MascisMan macrumors member

So as a 7200 HD fills up it gets worse but a 5400 HD doesnt?

8. macguitarhero macrumors newbie

Battery Life

From what I've heard of people who have manually upgraded their HDD's to 7200 RPM drives, it seriously hurts battery life (because of the extra power needed to get to 7200). So keep that in mind as well. You'll lose out on the extra space AND the extra battery life.

9. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

As the data increases on a 7200 RPM, the speed of data transfer will slow down. Check this out:

http://www.barefeats.com/mbcd7.html

10. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

There have been reports of vibration from the drive that has bothered some people.

11. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

As djinn just stated the WD 320gb 5400 drives are nearly as fast as the smaller 7200 drives,this is down to the thickness of the platters,speed will also be affected as the drive fills up.Try looking this
    up on wikipedia

12. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I think that the point was (to oversimplify) that as a drive nears capacity, faster drives will have to make more revolutions to reach the next read point on average, as they have likely passed it already--because of the faster speed. There is some truth to it, but it's really insignificant.

Also insignificant is the drive speed as a whole. the vast majority of users will never notice anything different. If you can live with a notebook, you can live with 5400 rpm. If you "need" 7200, you also need a desktop- or workstation-class machine. Only certain types of apps and their storage need will really justify higher speeds, and the resultant higher price. Drive speed marketing is almost as good as Monster Cable's, and for non-specific requirements, about as trustworthy.

13. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Personally I want the fastest performance possible in a laptop so I'm going with the 7200. I'm just going to offload anything unnecessary onto one of my collection of external drives so that it doesn't get too clogged or slow down too much.

As for
    Well. I also need it to be portable, so this is my best option :)

No, I can't afford a desktop as well.

14. paradyse macrumors newbie

how many ppl are buying 5400rpm or 7200rpm?

please count here!

15. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I went for the 7200rpm. 50GB here or there doesn't matter when I have tons of network storage.

16. sporty macrumors newbie

I heard 7200rpms are noisier. Is this true? And if it is, how much?
    (high-pitched sounds often cause me headaches, so it's quite important to me)

On the other hand, I often work with large databases, so could use a faster drive. Hard decision ... So would really like to know how much noisier they really are?

17. dothevampire macrumors newbie

dothevampire

I went with the 7200rpm. I did a lot of reading between the two and figured for the $50 bump I'll enjoy that split second difference on my boot up!

18. AndyFL macrumors regular

When I do upgrade, it will be a 5400rpm drive.

19. mactastic1971 macrumors regular

mactastic1971

Why not get the default HDD for now.
    Im sure in the next few months you will probably get a bigger/faster one from OWC etc... for less $$$

20. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

I'm sure the faster hdd might suck A BIT more battery as well.

21. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Same here, I opted out for performance rather than storage ... that 50 extra gbs is nothing really, I can store more crap on my storage server, or simply get an external if necessary. Yes perhaps it takes a little more battery, but Id rather enjoy 4hrs of incredible experience than 4.5 of a good one.

22. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

I went for the 7200 in my new MBP that I ordered today.

23. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

FWIW, when I got my 15" MBP the first thing I did was replace the stock 100G 5400RPM drive with a 100G 7200RPM drive. I did notice a slight increase in performance, but in all honesty, it wasn't as significant as I had expected, and given the choice, I wouldn't do it again.

That being said, I haven't had a chance to check out the prices on the new MBPs, so if the upgrade cost is minimal, I would do it. I wouldn't go to the expense of swapping out the drive like I did previously, though.

MacDann

24. PDE macrumors 68020

I did it with my previous macbook pro and felt that the heat generated by the seagate 7200rpm drive was noticeably greater and made the left palmres less comfortable to use when the disk was used heavily. Performance felt snappier, but hardly earth-shatteringly so.

25. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the input, I'll likely go with the standard 5400 when I finally get my MBP.