5400RPM WD Harddrive question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macguy93, Sep 23, 2012.

1. macguy93 macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

Very simple question today..

I just picked up a Western Digital 1.5TB internal hard drive. My main intentions for it is just keeping all of my video files on there (using it as a scratch disk) I got it for a good deal so thought nothing of the rotation speed at the time. but i just installed it and realized that it might be too slow.. If i use it with my video editing software (meaning, thats the location where i will keep my render files, actual video files etc.) Is that 5400 speed going to slow down how fast the video plays back in my editor? (FCPX, Adobe Premiere pro, After effects) Or should i just return it and buy a 7200RPM drive and call it a day?

Thanks in advance!

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

You probably picked up a Caviar Green. They're energy-saving drives that dynamically adjust rotation speed to save power.

If you want to stick with WD, I'd suggest exchanging for a Caviar Black. Those are 7,200 rpm and they're much better suited to frequent disk access applications like video editing. I usually only recommend using Greens for archival purposes, where the data doesn't have to be accessed constantly.

3. macguy93 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply!

Yes it's a caviar green drive

So essentially that drive will slow down my performance in video editing?

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes... at the simplest level without considering all other performance variables and the quality/resolution of the video you're editing.

5. macguy93 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay thanks for your guys help!

I will just rerun it and buy a 7200rpm

6. TomTomTuning macrumors regular

Plus a 5 year warrenty. ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136792