Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
My MacBook Air shows that I am using about 44gb. However, when I calculate each folder, they total only 30gb. I am assuming that the difference is made up of hidden/deleted files. How do I find and delete unnecessary hidden files.

Many Thanks

Robert

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Actually, the difference is likely from Log Files. Open up Console in Applications/Console and see if you can clear logs.

The Hidden Files on Unix like systems, like OS X, are the underpinnings of much of the system, and to remove them would cause harm to the system.

TEG

.product

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008
The savings from deleting log files is likely negligible. Instead, you should look at other threads that explain how to remove unnecessary printer drivers, language files (search 'Monolingual'), and PPC binaries (search XSlimmer).

BTW, the largest hidden file is the 2GB "sleep file" which you can free up by turning off "safe sleep." If you really want to know where your space is going, check out the great freeware app "GrandPerspective."

lamb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
How do I remove hidden files

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated.

I have downloaded GrandPerspective which identifies that 23.5Gb is "miscellaneous used space".

How do I now find where and what it is so that I can identify unnecessary folders/files and remove them.

Regards

Robert

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I have downloaded GrandPerspective which identifies that 23.5Gb is "miscellaneous used space"...How do I now find where and what it is so that I can identify unnecessary folders/files and remove them...

I used xslimmer, trimmit, monolingual and maybe one other, but I didn't save any of the freeware (trials for some). I removed unused languages and unused print drives, as well as that "2GB sleep file" and definitely noticed the increase in FS. I've raised FS = 56.13GB

Thanks for the advice and extremely helpful freeware...;)

silegnav

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2009
I have done a search in these hidden files and found that the folder private/var/log is consuming 20 GB on my drive. I've tried clearing and deleting the logs using cocktail but these log files are still taking up all that space. IN particular it is the subfolder ASL that contains these .asl files which are eating up GB worth.. Are these files safe to delete manually or will that fry my OS??

i've attached a screenshot so the folders/files mentioned can be seen.

mac mini 1.83 GHz
OS 10.5.8
80GB harddrive
2GB RAM

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    290 KB · Views: 521
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.