Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've established a Windows Gaming on a Mac Guide here at MRC.

If you have a Windows gaming fix on your Mac, but don't want to mess with adding it to the guide, please post here and I'll make sure it gets included. I'm really interested in Windows Game performance on your Mac, issues that are yet to be resolved, and solutions to those issues (if you have them).

If you post an issue that needs to be resolved, maybe someone will know the answer and we can get it into the Guide.

Thanks! :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
9/06/08- Added Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind Section under Game Specific Help Pages & added game under Game Performance Under BookCamp Section for MacBook Pro.

Morrowind runs under Vista, with a few install glitches.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
9/24/08- Added The Lost Crown (a ghost hunting adventure) as a title that will play on a MacBook (X3100 chipset) running XP. Older Macbooks may run this title but unverified.
9/22/08- Added Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines as a title that will play on a MacBookPro and added a blurb in the Game Specific Help Pages section.

JoyousMac

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2009
Mainstream Games

Does anyone know if any of the Bungie or Epic Games work?

Like um, the halo trilogy and Gears of war series?....

Thanks,

Joyous

I almost for got... the machine that I am using is home made here are the specs:

AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core
ASUS M4A78-E
2 - EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit
2 - OCZ Platinum 4GB
2 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB (in addition to gaming, I do LOTS of multimedia work)
ABS Tagan ITZ Series ITZ800-V2 800W
Antec Performance One P180 Silver
DVD burners
LOTS of fans

Which brings me to another question... is it a bad idea to game on a mac with AMD processors? I know with XP its great. But i dunno about a Mac. I do all my multimedia on my mac and game on my PC and I am trying to converge the two.

Thanks again,

Joyous

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
MacRumors Windows Gaming on a Mac Guide updated.

*26Apr12- Added new section Windows Native or Virtualized? and updated MacCentric Gamer Hardware Section.
*16Mar12- Started first step of reorganization of guide and re-categorization of old info. Under Misc Links, after Laptops To Go info, added new links for Bootcamp compatibility, Bootcamp how-to, and a link for Will This Game Run On My Hardware?.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Windows gaming on a Mac...

I guess it depends how you define a Mac.

You should rename that to "Windows gaming on Mac hardware" to be more thorough.

To me, and many people I've talked to, a "Mac" is not just hardware or software, but both... if its OSX on non-Mac hardware, its not a Mac. If its Mac hardware not running OSX, then its not a Mac.

When I read the headline "Windows gaming on a Mac" I only expect a Bootcamp install of Windows to be mentioned in passing, since thats Windows gaming on a PC.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Updated guide with Mac Gamer Hardware choices:

Mac Centric Gamer's Hardware Choices Oct 2013
After looking at the new Mac lineup and what includes dedicated graphics versus integrated graphics, I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about looking to Mac for portable gaming as it takes $2600 in a MacBookPro to achieve dedicated graphics. Keep in mind these choices are for people who want MacOS and like to game. Obviously console can be added to any of these categories that don't all ready have it figured in.

*'''Money Is No Object: MacPro''' ($3200-4200 + whatever laptop if you want one too.) There is no good reason to spend this kind of money for dedicated gaming. If you need it for professional tasks, all righty then. Depending on the model, the 2-3GB graphics should do a find job. Play native or install Windows via Bootcamp.

*'''Travelers Extravagance: MacBookPro''' ($2600) Price reflects MacBookPro model 15", 2.3GHz armed with dedicated graphics . Play native or install Windows via Bootcamp. If you travel a lot a MacBookPro is a must. Windows can be installed on it and it functions as a mid range gaming platform handling AAA games adequately. Best of both worlds. The $2000 MacBookPro includes integrated graphics only- why Apple WHY?

*'''Gaming Macs: 27"iMacs'''. Price reflects iMac ($1800-$2000). Depending on model offers 1-2GB dedicated graphics. Play native or install Windows via Bootcamp. Price includes monitor!

*'''Portable plus Gaming PC:''' ($2000-2100) Do your serious gaming on Windows, casual gaming on Mac. For the MacOS go with bottom tier MacBookPro or MacbookAir $1000-1200 + a $1000 PC dedicated to gaming. You have a shot at improved game performance running Windows on your Mac via Bootcamp, but don't count on running AAA games- Crysis, The Witcher, etc. 

*'''Casual Desktop Gaming+ Console'''- ($1700-1900) Love those find the hidden object games? 21" iMac $1300-1500 + Console $400. Add 100-200 more for latest generation Xbox or PlayStation. You have a shot at improved game performance running Windows on your Mac via Bootcamp, but don't count on running AAA games- Crysis, The Witcher, etc.

*'''Casual Portable Gaming + Console'''- ($1400-1600) Knock off the console and save $400. Love those find the hidden object games? Bottom tier MacBookAir or MacBookPro $1000-1200 + Console $400. Add another 100-200 for latest generation Xbox or PlayStation. You have a shot at improved game performance running Windows on your Mac via Bootcamp, but don't count on running AAA games- Crysis, The Witcher, etc.

*'''iPod/iPhone/iPad'''- There are very casual games to be played, but not to be confused with gaming on a Mac/PC via Bootcamp. From this group iPad best choice $300-900 depending on model.

Last edited:

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Huntn this is a good post.

Also, do you have any experience with Mavericks, Bootcamp, and how it currently is working with Windows games? Is there any degradation when switching to bootcamp?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Huntn this is a good post.

Also, do you have any experience with Mavericks, Bootcamp, and how it currently is working with Windows games? Is there any degradation when switching to bootcamp?

Thanks! I've corrected the mac models under Casual Portable category.

Regarding your first question, I don't. I assume that Mavericks includes Bootcamp. I assume that Windows will run just fine with Mavericks, because you are running Windows natively. The MacOS is not involved, not running in the background. However this Apple Support Community discussion indicates there could be a problem when upgrading to Mavericks with an existing Bootcamp partition.

For backing Windows up, I used to advocate Winclone (a Mac program), until I tried to restore my Windows 7 partition with it and it did not work. What I would suggest now, is to use Windows or a third party program to make a C Drive image, before upgrading. I remember from my past that True Image would not work in a bootcamp partition because it thought it was some kind of a virtual disk. I don't know if that has been corrected or not. The bad thing is that you have to put your trust in any program to produce a viable backup. You won't know until you've committed yourself. Another option would be to make backups of your large games and just accept the fact that you might have to reinstall Windows.

Actually, although I'm not relying on my MBP for Windows too much these days (after building a PC), I need to see if Windows 7 will allow me to make an image of my C drive on it (MBP).

If using Windows just for gaming, and contemplating upgrading, worst case, you get a brand new Windows partition. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Want To Play Vampire:The Masquerade Bloodlines?

VTMB_800x600.jpg

My understanding is the MacRumors Guide Section is in "rework" status. I recently reinstalled Vampire:The Masquerade Bloodlines on my PC and updated that portion of the guide. Since I can't edit the guide at MacRumors yet, here it is, but it has not been cleaned up for this format.

Enjoy! :D

==Game Specific Help==
==='''Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines===
(Updated as of March 2014)'''
*'''Vampire: The Masquerade- Bloodlines will not run under Mac Steam'''. This info is for running the game under Bootcamp/Windows/Steam.

*The game came out in 2004 for Windows XP or 98 (can't remember). The good news is that this excellent atmospheric game can be played under Windows 7 including 64 bit installed through Steam and available for purchase on Steam. Windows 8? I have not tried that. Normal price is $20, but it can be found on sale for 75% off. If you check the game requirements prior to purchase you will see there is no mention of Windows 7 for the Operating System. This info came from the official '''[http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2025035 Steam Forums]''' originally posted by Darkbyke], but this post is now archived, so I have repeated the info here. I (Huntn) recently installed the game through Steam, got the first error listed below, installed the unofficial patch and made the settings changes as noted below (15mb memory error).

*'''Error: Unable to run, less that 15mb memory available'''. This is the error you will most likely see if you install the game through Steam and then try to run it under Windows 7.

*'''Refer to these links:'''
*Fixing V:TM-B (15mb memory and Failed to find Steam errors: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=113161476
*http://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/4647

Newest link (2014): [http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=113161476 Fixing V:TM-B (15mb memory and Failed to find Steam errors[/url]. [http://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/4647 Unofficial 8.9 patch]. Older links: [http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1998239 Unofficial Patch 7.6 is out!] (15July11).

*'''Download Unofficial English Patch'''

from this [http://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/4647 Patches Scrolls Vampire Bloodlines Page v8.9]. Run the patch. I checked all options for install.

*'''Choose to install to your steam directory'''

Typically "C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\vampire the masquerade bloodlines". Note: The v8.9 patch will point to this path whether the game is located there or not. If you have installed Steam on a different hard drive, go find it.

*'''To Correct Black Intro Screen with sound, but no logos:'''
This is annoying during game startup. Once in the game, there should be no issues. To correct, in the Steam\SteamApps\common\vampire the masquerade-bloodlines directory right-click on the '''Vampire.exe application''', select '''Properties''', then '''Compatibility''' and click the '''Disable Visual Themes''' and '''Disable Desktop Composition''' boxes. '''Huntn Note:''' This is not within the Steam Application while the game is running. This is within the Steam directory on your hard drive. This worked for me.

*'''To Prevent Auto Updating:'''
Under the Steam Game Library Menu while running Steam, before launching the game) right-click Vampire The Masquerade game, select '''Properties''' and under the '''General Tab''' un-check the box labeled '''Enable Steam Community In-Game''' box. Under the '''Update Tab''', under '''Automatic Updates''' select '''Do Not Automatically Update This Game'''.

653807-sm_pawnshop_10037_super.jpg
Jack- One of my favorite characters.​

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.