550 Minutes Family Plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by edtorious, Jul 1, 2008.

1. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

Hello, I just wanted to know from anybody's experience, do you think AT&T will have a lower than 700 minutes family plan available even though they don't show on the website or press release? I have a tmobile and we are at 550 minutes which is enough for us but before we were also at 700 minutes when we first signed up and 550 was not offered to us nor it was available showin online but when I created the tmobile account online I was able to change plan online to 550 minutes, which I think it's pretty sly of them, it's like a secret plan that they don't want us to know:rolleyes:, so whaddya think? But I'm thinking it might be available but then it won't be unlimited data:mad:.

on another note, I thought at&t plan was expensive but when I started researching and comparing other carrier w/ different phones, the plan are almost the same price:eek:! Except for the phone and nothing compared to Iphone. Even AT&T LG VU is not that good I think compared to Iphone, Iphone apps are the killer baby!:D:apple:

Oh and in regards to texting option, we might not get one 'cause I'm thinking that maybe in the future there will be an apps that will enable us to text for free? Or is there one now for older gen iphone? :cool::confused:

2. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Well, I currently have a 550 family plan as well with 3 lines. I pay $59.99 for 550 minutes, plus $9.99 for the third line, but that will be going away as soon as I am able to dump it.

In any case, I went into my account just about an hour ago and clicked on the Change Rate Plan link. Now, I would think if they were going to change the rate plans, they would either take down the ability to change your rate plan within your account, or update that...unless they plan on pulling a switharoo on the 11th. However, I still have the ability to change my rate plan to other plans which are still cheaper than these newly released plans, as well as the 550 minute plan is still listed. None of my lines currently have an iphone.

Now, that being said, I dont know if they plan on changing things on the 11th, or requiring users to upgrade to the new plans, but I have printed out my options currently and dated it, so we'll see what they try to do on the 11th. I actually had planned on upgrading my plan anyway since I have a teen who is deciding to talk more and more lately and I need more minutes, but not 700 for 129.99 unless it includes unlimited data as well! They currently have plans that are much more reasonable than that within my account Change Rate Plan link.

3. edtorious thread starter macrumors 65816

edtorious

can somebody with at&t account email or contact customer service and ask if 550 minutes family plan will be available for 3G iphone and for how much and will it still include package as the 700 minute family plan? Thanks appreciate it:D

4. polyun macrumors member

Just spoke with a representative from ATT. Family plans start at 700 minutes. One iphone data plan, one non-data plan regular phone, plus two $5 200 minutes text add-ons will total $129. BTW, premiere discounts are also available for the plans. Mine happens to be 15% per month.

5. edtorious thread starter macrumors 65816

edtorious

oh so you can get a cheaper text plan on family plan? and what is premiere discount? what did they say about the 550 minutes if you asked?

6. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I currently HAVE the 550 minute family plan with AT&T with my iPhone so I think/hope it is possible to just upgrade it to the better 3G data plan without changing the base family plan.

Right now I have about 3000 rollover minutes but was also about to add my partner to the family plan (Moving him from Verizon). He is a realtor so uses his cell a LOT. I will live with the bigger plan if I must but prefer to wait until after he exceeds our usage. I get a 25% fan discount so it will be a big savings for us.

7. knoxtown macrumors 6502

I have the 550 minute plan too. When I went to get the phone, it wasn't listed as an option... I asked if they had something smaller and they said yea. I think they just would rather force you to buy more then you need.

8. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Unless you already have one, you can't get it now, it's no longer an option. It was an old Cingular family plan. People that had it before got grandfathered. For new customers, 700 is the lowest you can get. Even 550 is high for us since we have so many rollover minutes and mostly only use it at night or with other AT&T customers.

9. joekun macrumors regular

When you go to att.com and click on plans, family plans it asks you to put in your zipcode. I put mine in and it showed me the 550 minute plan and allowed me to add it to my cart.

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

That plan is supposedly available in certain areas only, but it seems that wherever you live, if you know to ask for it you may be able to get it.

11. mjerald macrumors newbie

clipped from email from AT&T today :

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail AT&T. I understand that you
    check if you will be required to change your rate plan when you purchase
    your 3G iPhone. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused,
    and I am happy to help you with your inquiry.

Mr. --, you will not be required to change your voice plan to
    upgrade to a 3G iPhone. You will be able to keep your service active on
    the Family 550 plan. There will be a $30.00 per month 3G iPhone
    Unlimited Data (Email-Web) plan added to each line that activates a 3G
    iPhone.

12. mjerald macrumors newbie

Those Family plans listed today are newly created for families with 2 or more iPhones. You can keep your old family plan, just will cost $30 additional for data.

see response from AT&T on previous post

13. edtorious thread starter macrumors 65816

edtorious

this is good news for current AT&T users but hopefully for new user like me, I get to choose 550 minutes for 3G Iphone w/o losing features that are included in 700 minutes plan.