562.95 TB free. How does that happen?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by will-y, Oct 4, 2012.

1. will-y macrumors newbie

hey, I'm fairly new here so this question might be a no-brainer. I've recently stumbled upon a desktop screenshot (http://ratemydesktop.org/pm/UMOG/rmbp.html) which reports 562.95 TB free disk space. is it fake/bugged?

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

That's very, very easy to fake, especially as it's just a picture.

Also it seems like a pretty obvious fake since all the numbers are identical.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Could be connected to a SAN which explains why the numbers are the same and the how you can to such a high number.

I'm not saying its valid, but what is the purpose of faking the free space for desktop picture

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

People do all sorts of stupid stuff on the internet. You could be right, but it seems unlikely to me (or at least it seems like the less likely of the two scenarios)

5. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Obvious ? All the folders just reside on the same storage device. That doesn't make it fake because "All the numbers are identical".

iSCSI SAN at his work place is more likely.

6. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Is it not odd that he has the same amount filled as he has free? To the terrabyte?

7. elistan macrumors 6502a

The capacity and free space are the same, I think - meaning they're empty.

Also, the size of 562.95 TB is actually 562,949,953,421,312 bytes - in other words, exactly on half of a petabyte. (Aka half of 1024*1024*1024*1024*1024 bytes, or half of 2^50, or 2^49.)

It very well could be that these folders represent a connection to a very large SAN (costing six or maybe even seven figures) but I suspect they're actually just sparsebundle files. IIRC, you can create your own half-petabyte sparsebundle via disk util, and it'll only be as big as it needs to be to hold whatever you put in it.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Funny thing is with a new SAN unit the free and used space are the same.

I think you're reading too much into the picture. People do stupid stuff on the internet but this makes no sense, the site and picture are for rating someone's desktop not to show (or fool people ) how much free space he has. Occam's razor really fits in this case. Why do all sorts of logical back bending to say its fake when the simplest answer fits - its a SAN, probably a new one.

9. elistan macrumors 6502a

10. will-y thread starter macrumors newbie

oh wow, thanks for the replies although I'm kinda confused now :D

11. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

A more important question is why do you care? Seriously.

12. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I trust KnightWRX and maflynn to know more than me, so I'll say they;re likely right in this case. However, these are still incredibly easy to fake.

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey