Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

merics

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Bahrain
Well, just filled up page 9 on the iPhone, the end of new additions unless I delete. Hopefully Apple is working on this and we soon see update. Wonder was this even thought about, why have limit? Thoughts....

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Well, just filled up page 9 on the iPhone, the end of new additions unless I delete. Hopefully Apple is working on this and we soon see update. Wonder was this even thought about, why have limit? Thoughts....

Why have a limit indeed, and certainly the screen has enough space to generate more than 9 small white dots. I wonder if after a certain amount of pages it starts to use more OS resources, and thus will slow down the phone, or drain the battery. Certainly makes a case for NOT upgrading the storage to anything larger than 16 GB... what good is all that space unless you like to store a ton of music/video on your phone?

kfordham281

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Wow, that's a lot of apps!

If you delete them from the iPhone, iTunes will still keep them. You could "rotate" them a bit.

merics

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Bahrain
I doubt you use every single app. Just delete some.

Point taken, but you know the old saying. Don't want it until it's gone. I believe this limit was there prior to launch of App Store, so someone with R&D must've recognized this knowing you give people access to the many apps avail, we're eventually going to reach max and want to continue on. I liken it to creating a browser with a limit on bookmarks.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I think you're missing the point.

Honestly, is the OP complaining outright about the app limit because he really needs more room? Or is he just masking his bragging with the question?

Just to add to this conversation a little: I wouldn't mind being able to label my home screens. Like: main, short games, games, fun stuff/show off, bookmarks etc. and work.

@poster below me: exactly...the store isn't mature enough (paid/free) to offer that many programs, I mean, how many apps do you have on your computer that you use?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I think you're missing the point.

No, I think he's gotten right to the heart of it. The dude has a lot of apps that he barely ever uses, if at all.

So why should Apple care that he can't organize better? I refuse to believe that every single app he has is useful and doesn't duplicate the function of another app.

I've seen the app store, there's no way he has that many useful apps.

I think this will EVENTUALLY be a problem that needs fixing. But today? I don't see it.

(Unless he's adding all his Safari bookmarks to his home screen. I can understand running out of room then. But he really should have explained that. It would change my view on the entire post.)

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
No, I think he's gotten right to the heart of it. The dude has a lot of apps that he barely ever uses, if at all.

So why should Apple care that he can't organize better? I refuse to believe that every single app he has is useful and doesn't duplicate the function of another app.

I think this will EVENTUALLY be a problem that needs fixing. But today? I don't see it.

(Unless he's adding all his Safari bookmarks to his home screen. I can understand running out of room then. But he really should have explained that. It would change my view on the entire post.)

129 applications (16 apps per page x 9 pages = 144 apps - the 15 stock apps taking up home screen space) does not necessarily = 7 + GB of data. That's my point. Oh, and if Apple wants to market the iPhone as a serious gaming platform, they had better get rid of the 9 page limit, because there are already 915 games on the App Store!

merics

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Bahrain

Great questions. Not that I use every app every day, some maybe once. To me, it's not a question of whether one uses his or her apps in some frequency. Let me take this route, because we all often here the need for IPODS with bigger storage, why? Because people want more songs then the 1000 or 4000. So you buy what's avail on the market. ex: I have he first gen IPDO, 40G, holds 10,000 songs and I have yet to max it, but some have, which obviously, someone with Apple saw that coming and now we have 160G IPODS. Most people put those IPODS on shuffle and rarely make it hearing all because of adding more songs, then it starts over or simply skipping songs to get to their favs.

/b/

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
For real ?
Can you do me one favor ?
Could you time how long does it take to boot up your phone after you have switch the phone completely off ? I would really like to know.
Thanks.

Asar

macrumors regular
May 29, 2006
thats incredible. you must have a lot of replay value and cash. i beat a game and delete it, cant make it pass 3 pages.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
To me, it's not a question of whether one uses his or her apps in some frequency.

Well, to explain my thinking, this really matters.

Every 'swipe' I have to do during the day is a drain on my time. It's a small amount of time, but it adds up. With 9 pages, you're undoubtedly swiping through pages a lot more than I am.

I'm willing to put up with a swipe if it gets me something useful that I get use out of. If I use an application less than once a week, it's not worth the space it's taking up and I remove it. I have almost 60 apps in iTunes, but only about 35 on my phone.

I value the convenience of using the phone every time I pick i up over the convenience of satisfying every strange situation that may occur during the day.

I probably say "oh, I wish I'd left that on the phone" about once a week. To me, that's worth it because I'm not being aggravated when I pick up the phone, which is more like 4-5 times an hour. That works out to about 80 instances of "using the phone" per week. That simply can't compare to the 1 time I miss a particular app.

I refuse to go above 4 pages, and so far I've had no trouble sticking to that rule.

But that's just me.

merics

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Bahrain

Every 'swipe' I have to do during the day is a drain on my time. It's a small amount of time, but it adds up. With 9 pages, you're undoubtedly swiping through pages a lot more than I am.

I'm willing to put up with a swipe if it gets me something useful that I get use out of. If I use an application less than once a week, it's not worth the space it's taking up and I remove it. I have almost 60 apps in iTunes, but only about 35 on my phone.

I value the convenience of using the phone every time I pick i up over the convenience of satisfying every strange situation that may occur during the day.

I probably say "oh, I wish I'd left that on the phone" about once a week. To me, that's worth it because I'm not being aggravated when I pick up the phone, which is more like 4-5 times an hour. That works out to about 80 instances of "using the phone" per week. That simply can't compare to the 1 time I miss a particular app.

I refuse to go above 4 pages, and so far I've had no trouble sticking to that rule.

But that's just me.

Totally understand. As why I gave the IPOD example. Some will fill and want more, and some want. Milani's post nr 10, I think hits the nail right on the head.

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
Ya know if you delete the app off your phone but leave it in iTunes and discover you need that app you could always download it again directly to the phone for free. ( that's what I do )

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag

But that's just me.

It would be cool if instead of swiping you could flick your wrist to one side and the page flicks that way as well. That would make good use of the accelerometer. Probs won't save any time though

StingerT125

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Dutchess County New York
It would be cool if instead of swiping you could flick your wrist to one side and the page flicks that way as well. That would make good use of the accelerometer. Probs won't save any time though

You can touch the dots on the bottom of the screen to move also besides swiping. It only goes one screen at a time tough. I wish you could touch the dot of the screen you want to move to.

Excellerator

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2008
I am with the OP, I have 9 pages of apps too. (I leave the last one blank for updates.) Apple needs a better system.

It's kinda funny, I was about to post the same thing when I saw this thread.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007

But that's just me.

Swiping through pages takes up your time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.