Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I don't even understand how this is up for debate. How could anyone argue they are in favor of a limit on the number of apps you can have on your phone? It makes no sense at all - might as well limit the number of songs you can carry while you're at it! Please give me on good reason why you want Apple to artificially cripple the storage capacity of your phone? Seriously... I'm at a loss for words.
Well said. It's sad that the Apple sheep are so quick to defend their favorite company, no matter how ridiculous the 'argument' is. There is no debate in this case; setting an arbitrary limit on the number of apps that can be installed is illogical and defeats the purpose of having an App Store filled with thousands of apps.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I think you are very much mistaken with this statement. I'd say not even 5% of iPhone owners will download more than 130 apps.

I have about 45 apps downloaded and out of those, 15 are actually installed on both of my 3G phones. I haven't seen much that interests me in the store lately and the ones I have on my phones are the ones I use daily.

When I had all those apps installed plus webclips, it made it very hard to find things and that was only having 5 pages filled.

PatrickRS

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Wow. 9 pages should be more than enough. I haven't even filled up 2 pages yet.

Definitely with milani on this one. The above comment is just of the type that I find astounding. Because *you* can't find a reason for it or make sense of it, nobody else should have it. Is that really what you are arguing for? Really?? Even when there ought to be zero downsides for those who don't take advantage of it? Unbelievable.

I guess there are two kinds of people in this world, those who live in boxes and those who think outside of it.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
I guess there are two kinds of people in this world, those who live in boxes and those who think outside of it.

haha. Let me guess; you're someone "who thinks outside the [box]" 'cause you wanna install 200 apps on your phone? :rolleyes:

Unless you plan on jailbreaking your phone, you won't be able to wallpaper it, or change your icons, or install any app not 'blessed by Apple', or install 200+ apps and so forth and so on. You all knew what the deal was. You all knew the iPhone was a pre-designed closed system.

If this is kind of thing that stresses you out, and you "demand" be changed - you guys gotta chill out. It's made and sold by someone else, not you. There's not much you can do other than make a request / suggestion, or buy something else and move on. Or, I guess, get a job there and usurp the decision makers.

I'm not trying to be an "apple apologist" (like I've been accused of) or whatever, but the phone is what it is. What is bitching about it's design decision going to accomplish? What is being righteous about it all about? Are we all to sit here and pat ourselves on the back 'cause we want to install a sh** load of applications on our phone?

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
I can't believe that someone would say that 9 pages is enough. I have eight pages of apps and webclips. The only limitation should be on storage not pages. Somebody give one valid reason for this limitation.

Excellerator

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2008
Why do people need 120 Gig of music? Are you going to listen to it all at once? Thats the thinking people are saying.

I myself have 9 pages of apps and would have to start removing things to add more.

And yes, I have hundreds if not thousands of programs on my computers. :)

PatrickRS

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
haha. Let me guess; you're someone "who thinks outside the [box]" 'cause you wanna install 200 apps on your phone? :rolleyes:

Actually, I think there are likely people out there who are clearer thinkers or are more innovative than me. Those folks often find ways to use tools I never would have thought of. Instead of putting totally unnecessary limits in their way, I'd rather they be free to innovate to their hearts content.

Unless you plan on jailbreaking your phone, you won't be able to wallpaper it, or change your icons, or install any app not 'blessed by Apple', or install 200+ apps and so forth and so on. You all knew what the deal was. You all knew the iPhone was a pre-designed closed system.

If this is kind of thing that stresses you out, and you "demand" be changed - you guys gotta chill out. It's made and sold by someone else, not you. There's not much you can do other than make a request / suggestion, or buy something else and move on. Or, I guess, get a job there and usurp the decision makers.

So you're saying dissent has no effect? Wow. I can see now why the application limit doesn't bother you.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
So you're saying dissent has no effect? Wow. I can see now why the application limit doesn't bother you.

Dissent? Posting on an iPhone internet forum complaining that you don't enough room for your favorite applications and web shortcuts on your cellular telephone is "dissent" now? :rolleyes: Yeowsers.

It's alright; I presented my opinion and will bow out of the conversation now. There's nothing to add here.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by merics
I'm sure most will download more than 130 apps...

I think you are very much mistaken with this statement. I'd say not even 5% of iPhone owners will download more than 130 apps.

I agree with this statement. I doubt MOST people will download that many apps. I personally know 7 people in widely different lifestyles with iPhones, and none of them have filled their phones with apps. So far, we're at 0%.

While I can see people's point about wanting more pages, I think it mostly comes down to Apple not thinking that anyone would ever have any use for 144 apps. I think the number of pages was set based on an arbitrary number selected to allow the most number of apps, while keeping it simpler to get back and forth amongst those apps. Since there are a few people out there seem to need countless apps, I'm fairly certain the number of pages will be raised soon in an update. Just in time for the forum posts to start "I have almost 400 apps installed on my phone and I don't understand why it's so slow".

I think there are a lot of people who simply try to put as much stuff on any device as they can. People who have over 100GB of music. People who have 144 apps and need more. I don't know, sometimes I think some people think they get a prize for having the most stuff. I worked with a guy who wanted to copy the library of every single person we worked with. He didn't care what was in it, he just wanted everything. I don't get it.

But yeah, they will open it for more apps...just settle down and wait for the next update. Then you can tell us about how they have limited it to 100 pages.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
I really don't understand all of the posts saying "why do you need all those pages." I don't have nearly as many, but why would you be against more options?

Forget arguing whether someone needs it or not, the argument is centered around Apple letting you add as many apps and webclips as you want, or Apple limiting it.

Can someone explain to me why you would be in favor of limitations?

makismagoo99

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2006
Point taken, but you know the old saying. Don't want it until it's gone.

While I agree that there should not be a limit, you really won't lose it, even if you un-install it. Isn't that partially the point of having the App Store on the phone itself? Even if you're not at home, you can install the app again. I believe the App Store remembers whether or not you've paid for an app.

digbyp

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
My simple suggestion is

1 - be able to scroll each page up and down
2 - Be able to label each page

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1 PWNed): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

makismagoo99 said:
Point taken, but you know the old saying. Don't want it until it's gone.

While I agree that there should not be a limit, you really won't lose it, even if you un-install it. Isn't that partially the point of having the App Store on the phone itself? Even if you're not at home, you can install the app again. I believe the App Store remembers whether or not you've paid for an app.

Yeah, I tried doing that when I first upgraded to 2.1. Works fine, until you try to install an app larger that 10MB - anything over that and you can't use EDGE/3G ... Kinda defeats the purpose. :(

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
First of all, wow.

Second of all, apple doesn't care to have their phones cluttered with junk. It's a surprise they allowed the app store at all, and if it wasn't a huge moneymaker/draw, they probably wouldn't have. They have demonstrated that they want full control of their devices so as to make sure they maintain their clean look (ie no theming). They may offer a another page or two in the future, but I doubt they'll ever offer unlimited pages, even if it's technically possible.

Third of all, if you really need more apps in the short term you could consider jailbreaking. I'm not 100% sure if jailbreaking would help, that is I don't know if the problem goes beyond page room, but you can hide apps and/or put them into category folders when you are jailbroken, which will reduce the number of pages you use significantly. And keep you more organized.

Apple may (and SHOULD) follow suit with a categories type implementation, so that users can clean up their springboards. This would follow suit with their business model, and would probably be the most useful to users as well. After this type of implementation, they may allow many more apps, but I really don't see them ever adding a ton more pages alone.

sotied

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2003
Boston
No, I think he's gotten right to the heart of it. The dude has a lot of apps that he barely ever uses, if at all.

So why should Apple care that he can't organize better? I refuse to believe that every single app he has is useful and doesn't duplicate the function of another app.

I've seen the app store, there's no way he has that many useful apps.

I think this will EVENTUALLY be a problem that needs fixing. But today? I don't see it.

(Unless he's adding all his Safari bookmarks to his home screen. I can understand running out of room then. But he really should have explained that. It would change my view on the entire post.)

You can add your bookmarks to the screen? Cooooool.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Dissent? Posting on an iPhone internet forum complaining that you don't enough room for your favorite applications and web shortcuts on your cellular telephone is "dissent" now? :rolleyes: Yeowsers.

It's alright; I presented my opinion and will bow out of the conversation now. There's nothing to add here.

Then what are forums for? For you to show off your superiority by criticising someone's habit and putting him off as a whiner? As consumers we have the right to complaint/suggest for additional features in the product. There are plenty of people who are watching MacRumor, and who are you to say dissent has no venue here, just because you think no one from Apple is gathering opinions from this board? At 27, don't you think you should be a little less presumptuous? Internet is a powerful medium, you are ignorant to see what effect it can garner.

But I'm not bothered by the 100+ app limit, and I'm sure most users aren't as well.

So you mean you did a survey on ALL iphone users, and from your findings... you concluded that most users aren't bothered? Are your findings published somewhere? Can you back your claim?

If you can't and are not gonna give constructive comment to the OP, I suggest you keep your elite behaviour to yourself.

Afterall, posting on an iPhone internet forum complaining that you don't see why anyone would want 9 pages worth of apps on their iphone is itself a scenario people like you see no reason to reply. :rolleyes: Yeowsers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.