56GB's in iPhoto, how to backup to mounted HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lars Petersen, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Lars Petersen macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I currently have arround 56GB's in iPhoto and want to back them up on a mounted HD. It doesnt really seem to be possible. I've tried to create ZIP's and just to copy but it sort of comes out with errors every time.

I would prefer not to use DVD's. I know that option.

Anyoine have any ideas?

I'm backup up my whole computer to get ready for 10.5.

- Lars

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

need a bit more info

-are you using iphoto from ilife '08 (version 7)?
    -do you have "copy items to iphoto library" selected in the advanced section of iphoto preferences?
    -are all you photos in iphoto? or are there ones in your pictures folder that aren't in iphoto

thanks

3. Lars Petersen thread starter macrumors newbie

Uhh :)

I'm using Iphoto from iLife '08.

And I have the copy files thing on yes, and I have all the pictures on my mac in - as I can see - one big single container file.

I think it might have something to do with filenames and/or size?

- Lars

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ok then if your happy that all your photos and stuff are in iphoto then just backup the iphoto library container in your pictures folder. i think you then just double click on it if you want to import yoru pictures back into an empty iphoto library.

also backup the com.apple.iphoto.plist preference file in your home preferences folder. that has some import iphoto settings

5. Lars Petersen thread starter macrumors newbie

And what you just said is what I have been trying to do, and that is what is not working, I think it might have something to do with the filezize and/or strange filenames? Anyone have any ideas or is there anyone that tried?

6. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

What file-system is your external drive using? If it's Fat32, then it might have a problem with file-sizes over 4 gigs, but I don't think this applies to other file-systems. It can't be a strange-filename, because "iPhoto Library" is not a strange name for a file.

Also, if you right-click the iPhoto Library in your users/username/pictures-folder, you have the option to "show package contents." If you do that, you get access to the folders inside the libary, and you can drag individual folders. So if it truly is a file-size problem, you can back it up in a piece-meal fashion. You'll have to do some magic to restore it however. I think you have to drag the picture folders back into iPhoto, not through the Finder.

7. Lars Petersen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I'll try and mess around with the single folders inside the container. I'm thinking that I might loose some iPhoto comments etc. We'll see..