Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Please, I would love to hear from you about CoD4's performance on Macs, considering that the game has just been released for sale (including digital downloads).

And NO, I am not talking about the PC version running on Macs...I wanted to know about the native Mac version and its performance. Thanks!

nusynergy

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2008
Kent - UK
i love cod4 and play it all the time on the 360.. I really interested in getting it on the mac as well. Where can i get the digital download copy from as i can only seem to find it to get delivered

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
You can get it from Aspyr GameAgent....... but that is not a good idea. Crazy DRM. Just get it on Amazong :p.

As much as I don't like this DRM crap, it seems like it's only a problem if you don't back up the file after downloading it...after all, the code serves for 3 different authorized machines if you ever change them...

tritian

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2008
You can get it from Aspyr GameAgent....... but that is not a good idea. Crazy DRM. Just get it on Amazong :p.

I am reading elsewhere that the physical CDs are reporting issues. some people are getting authorization failed errors, and Aspyr has acknowledged errors on the CDs.

jonnos

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2007
Sydney, Australia
oo id like to know too.. also would anyone know if a PC version cdkey will work if i get my hands on a mac version? i own the pc version and moving to bootcamp to play games is starting to annoy me.
i finally have starcraft on mac and now gw runs pretty good on vmware 2.0

dvenuso

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2008
Blah

I tried downloading through Game Agent (digital river), and the file downloaded at about 300-400 KB/s, but kept cutting out and resuming.

Then it said it downloaded, but actually wasn't complete (only was a file size of 2.81 GB when it should have been 6.81 GB). Then, when I went to try downloading it again, it stopped quickly, and said I couldn't download it any more. I went to the site, tried over, and it said I had downloaded it too many times.

I don't think I'm ever going to try and download something I pay 50+ dollars for. I'd feel more comfortable having a dvd in my possession. Now I have to wait for their customer service to respond. And then, if they don't quickly solve the problem, figure out how to get a refund and order through Amazon. What a waste of time this all has been (my only consolation that the product itself is a thing created to waste time, :p).

evan g

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
We're probably best off just clicking the download button then leaving the computer overnight (or for the next day lol)

godspeed

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2006
Downloading from Australia, 120k speed, this is going to be a long download. Curious to see how it performs on the 8800 Imac vs bootcamp. Also want to know if I can copy the user details across, anybody know? Getting to level 50 again with all my weapons took ages.....

siorai

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
- Downloaded yesterday. Took forever. Like 300k/sec forever. In fact at ~2.8GB it crapped out and canceled itself so I had to start it all over again. At least in Firefox, Aspyr's claims of just restarting the download where it stopped are bunk.

-Performance is alright I guess. I run it at 1920x1200 and it runs pretty smooth. Then again I had to disable shadows, glow, AA, AF, and specular maps to get it to run smoothly at that resolution.

-Would I buy another game from Aspyr's gameagent? Probably not. The download speed is ridiculous when you're downloading a file that big and games just aren't getting smaller.

-I might have to borrow my friend's Windows copy and install it for a comparison. But at least for now I don't have to reboot just to play a game.

godspeed

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2006
OK, different servers for Mac and PC, this sucks hard
Can you copy over profiles from PC to Mac, the answer is no
Is the performance as good, I'd say it's about 5fps behind (from feel)
On the positive there's a new effect that distorts space when explosions go off

godspeed

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2006
My bad........COD4 for Mac is currently running on older servers with version 1.5.549. So there is still hope that the Mac version will become as up to date as the Pc version with all subsequent releases happening simultaneously.

MeValonicAcid

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
Belgium
I've tried to get it last night but, gamers from Europe are not allowed to DL it from the Aspyr GameAgent...
So, are the in-game grfx as good as they are in the PC version (or shall I stick to the bootcamp/XP/CoD combo?)
How 's the gameplay? No delays, hick-ups? Bugs?

Regards,

MVa
:)apple: since June ;) )

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
I'm interested to know how the mac version of this game compares to playing the PC version in boot camp. Performance-wise, say, on an alu iMac 20"

MeValonicAcid

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
Belgium
I'm interested to know how the mac version of this game compares to playing the PC version in boot camp. Performance-wise, say, on an alu iMac 20"

Same for me...
Shall I buy the 'combo' or just download the universal bin from Aspyr GameAgent for a good/excellent game experience?
(I used to be a pc-gamer a few years ago and since my pc is replaced by an alu iMac 20"...:D)

MeValonicAcid

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
Belgium
My bad........COD4 for Mac is currently running on older servers with version 1.5.549. So there is still hope that the Mac version will become as up to date as the Pc version with all subsequent releases happening simultaneously.

Does this mean that you cannot have an online play with pc-CoD4-friends????

Chafka

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
OK, different servers for Mac and PC, this sucks hard
Can you copy over profiles from PC to Mac, the answer is no
Is the performance as good, I'd say it's about 5fps behind (from feel)
On the positive there's a new effect that distorts space when explosions go off

FYI: the distortion effect can get really annoying and can rob some fps in multiplayer. If you want to shut it off open the console and type in:

r_distortion 0.

BigRig

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
The server version is a bit older, and all it needs is an update, but there is still over 400 servers...and yea, you can play with pc'ers, just gotta manual join...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.