Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gospel9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
http://appshopper.com/games/fieldrunners

2915438511_a44a3831e4.jpg

Just saw this one.
Finally I think for the first time ever a tower defense game with good graphics (not sure, only one screenshot).

For 4.99$ ... I'll be waiting for some reviews first.

EDIT: it's out on iTunes now.

mattjb

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008
Plant City, FL
It's pretty nice, great graphics, fun gameplay, but sorely in need of sound and music (which the developer said will come in an upcoming update.) I don't think I'll be spending as much time with Mote-M anymore.

I should have a review up tomorrow on my site. Fieldrunners is a nice surprise, and quite polished.

Amt

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
If you're a fan of Tower Defense games, get this. Now. It's pretty awesome. The graphics are even better.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Just took the plunge and bought it. EXCELLENT version of the game. Super smooth framerate (looks to be at least 40fps, and definitely above 30). Graphics are gorgeous, with shadows of all the turrets on the ground, as well as light "reflections" on the guns themselves from the bursts of fire.

It's really, really needing sound. REALLY. REALLY. But aside from that the interface is stellar, and well worth the $5. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed. That said, that it was released without sound is bizarre!

gospel9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Thanks for the headsup and reviews~

Yes I do like this kind of game, and have always wanted to have something polished. This is a big surprise... however, the lack of sound and music is a no go for me at $5. This kind of game really do need the sound effects - they are often highly amusing.

I have also heard that it only has one map and that's the end of it.

I think I'll hold off for the next update for now... Will definitely keep checking on this one.

mattjb

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008
Plant City, FL
I have also heard that it only has one map and that's the end of it.

I think I'll hold off for the next update for now... Will definitely keep checking on this one.

There is the one map, but there are also 3 difficulty modes. I just beat the Easy mode, got all the way to wave 100, and will now try my hand at Medium.

gospel9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
I ended up buying it just now.
Less things to wait for ... knowing that I will eventually buy it anyway...why not now?

So I did :)

I hope the sound updates arrive soon enough.
So far it's pretty good. Very smooth for a game like this.

efp1

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
UK
bought it and downloading now :D

I love this type of game. Thanks for the post!

tweeg

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2008
Anyone got tactics or stragies on this game ? I found out i kinda suck at it :mad:

Goroke

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
The unit looks awfully familiar to Soldier and Heavy from TF2...Maybe the color scheme?

Thinking about buying, but gonna wait till there's a good update and/or sale~

awesomator

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Anyone got tactics or stragies on this game ? I found out i kinda suck at it :mad:

Well im pretty good at tower defence games and my stratagy in this is to go diagonal in a maze. Also the rockets are pretty good against the fat guys and air.

gospel9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008

Go look at their official forum for the game. I think it is at fieldrunners.com
Personally I was not able to pass level 90 in normal.

It is a great game and I say if are planning to get it anyway mind as well get it now.
The updates are coming for sure... And it's unlikely for a price drop especially with a biG update that includes the sound and music, as well as new levels.

Totally recommend it..

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
loving this game and cannot wait for some updates. Music, whatever, but maybe some new levels, no baddies, no guns possibly, oooohhhh!

CommanderData

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2007
GAHH! Am I the only one who likes it without sound or music??? Please, please, please if music/sound is implemented let us have a way to turn it off and keep it off by default (even during startup of the app). One of the best things about this is that it does not make a peep as you fire it up and it remembers where you left off. This is one of the few games I can work on while watching TV with the wife on the couch without disturbing her! :D

I would always like more levels, enemies, and weapons! Just don't force us to have sound...

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
GAHH! Am I the only one who likes it without sound or music??? Please, please, please if music/sound is implemented let us have a way to turn it off and keep it off by default (even during startup of the app). One of the best things about this is that it does not make a peep as you fire it up and it remembers where you left off. This is one of the few games I can work on while watching TV with the wife on the couch without disturbing her! :D

I would always like more levels, enemies, and weapons! Just don't force us to have sound...

I agree, an option for sound on/off would be needed.

Otherwise great game. looking forward to the updates.

One cool idea i have is that the enemy could deploy it's own towers that attack your towers.

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
The developers have already stated that new maps, guns and sounds are enroute...plus other surprises

I think this will be actively developed for a while so it should be a fun game for quite some time.

Its a classic example of top notch iphone development....they deserve every success

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
HEHEHE>< history!!

Attachments

• IMG_0011-1.png
    IMG_0011-1.png
    243.7 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0013-1.png
    IMG_0013-1.png
    241.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0014-1.png
    IMG_0014-1.png
    234.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0017.png
    IMG_0017.png
    233.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0020.png
    IMG_0020.png
    221.3 KB · Views: 181
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.