Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
If you are not gaming what advantage would there be with a 5870 over a 5770 graphics card and all you do is video editing and photo editing?

r00ky

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2010
http://www.barefeats.com/wst10g7.html

See those benchmarks and his insights in the bottom. It depends what apps do you use

1st Post, and reviving a 2 month old thread, so I'll put my flame suit on :eek:

I've been doing research for several weeks now here at MacRumors. I just now justified in registering an account to ask one final question before I order my mac pro. I do not do any photography work, or video editing, I fall in the "prosumer" category. I work from home alot that requires me to monitor my territory which includes multiple workstations in the field. So the more monitor and workspace I have, the productivity I have.

My question relates to the OP, which graphics card?

I already have an Apple 24 ACD which will connect via mDP. I plan on getting 2 more mDP connecting monitors (cinema displays, 24in) that use mDP. I understand the third one will need a mDP->Dual DVI adaptor.
The work stations I will be monitoring will not have any type of graphics editing, or photos, or anything as intensive.

I am leaning towards the 5770, but I DO NOT want any flickering, stalling, or slow down when I am using 3 monitors. Which is why its putting me in this conundrum.

In the grand scheme of things, I understand the $200 update in the total price of a MP is not that big of deal, but if I can save that $200 that means I get to purchase a boot SSD that much quicker :)

Last edited:

gullySn0wCat

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2010
You won't notice a difference between the 5770 and 5870. If you find that the 5770 doesn't suit your needs for whatever reason, you can always get another one and link them together with Crossfire for maximum performance (better than a single 5870.)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I already have an Apple 24 ACD which will connect via mDP. I plan on getting 2 more mDP connecting monitors (cinema displays, 24in) that use mDP. I understand the third one will need a mDP->Dual DVI adaptor.
The work stations I will be monitoring will not have any type of graphics editing, or photos, or anything as intensive.

You would need an adapter like this. That's way too much for a dongle like that so I would get a GT 120 from eBay for ~100$ and use that for the third display instead.

You won't notice a difference between the 5770 and 5870. If you find that the 5770 doesn't suit your needs for whatever reason, you can always get another one and link them together with Crossfire for maximum performance (better than a single 5870.)

CrossFire does not work in OS X

r00ky

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2010
Got it. Looks like the 5770 is good to go.

And to confirm, when I connect the 3rd display, the Altona adapter for mDP->to dual DVI is recommended.

Thanks gents.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Got it. Looks like the 5770 is good to go.

And to confirm, when I connect the 3rd display, the Altona adapter for mDP->to dual DVI is recommended.

Thanks gents.

Well, I wouldn't recommend it due to its price. As I said, get GT 120 from eBay and put it in one of the PCIe slots (it's single slot card so you would still have two slots free). It has one mDP port so you can use that for the third display and still have 2xDVI (one in each GPU) for additional displays if needed.

@Hellhammer

Are you sure? 2x 5770 is an option on the 2010 Mac Pro

You can still have multiple GPUs without CFing or SLIing them. 2x5770 gives you more outputs and thus lets you connect more monitors. That's the idea of it.

r00ky

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2010
Well, I wouldn't recommend it due to its price. As I said, get GT 120 from eBay and put it in one of the PCIe slots (it's single slot card so you would still have two slots free). It has one mDP port so you can use that for the third display and still have 2xDVI (one in each GPU) for additional displays if needed.

Ahh my bad, I didn't read that correctly first time out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.