$58 dollars for two "Bumpers"... Ya right!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Runamuck, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Runamuck macrumors newbie

I was just about to order a couple bumpers for myself and my wife, then I got the full realization that Apple wants to charge me almost $60 for two pieces of plastic. At that moment I snapped out of my Apple zombieness and said forget it. I'm not paying for this crap especially not $60 when they can afford to give them out at $10 or for free for that matter with all the reception issues.

I'm all set there. Thanks for reading my rant

2. nateharr macrumors 6502

Sacrifice the heretic!

3. BadMoon macrumors 6502

4. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

It's actually only $2 ($1 each) or so for the Bumpers... the remaining $56 (or the $28 off the individual price) is because you're paying for Apple magical rubber... it's not like ordinary rubber, of course.

5. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Yeah, pricey. I got two free from Apple. Not sure if trying to get free stuff is your thing but, for me I get what I can within reason. Signal issue=free bumper

The memos say they aren't giving them out but if you talk to a supervisor, explain yourself like a polite human, they usually will give in a bit.

They really SHOULD be giving them to people until they address the problems people are having if that's how the recommend getting better signal.

Oh well..

6. nexsta macrumors 6502

the bumper price is the biggest rip off apple ever made, I bet the production cost is 0.05 cent for this little piece of rubber ****.

7. Sedin macrumors member

I've already spent my 60 bucks plus tax on 2 bumpers and plan on buying another. I wanted a bumper the day I got my phone, and we all know that the Apple stores only had black. I'll be getting a pink at some point.

Sure it's expensive. But this bumper is exactly what I wanted for my phone. It's minimalist and sleek. Plus once I have my pink one, I'll be able to tell mine and my boyfriend's apart without having to hit the home button. It's a win-win for me. And I guess I'll pay the money if it's exactly what I want.

If the bumper isn't for you, then don't buy it. It's really simple.

8. Mugambo macrumors 6502

Mugambo

No R&D involved
    One design mold
    Easy reproducibility
    No assembly involved
    Marketing (a mention on AppleCare CC scripts)
    Wholesale shipping cost

Biggest RIP OFF by Apple

9. Roadrash3 macrumors newbie

I thought 29 bucks for a piece of rubber was crazy, but it is actually pretty nice, it has metal buttons on the top and sides. I have paid alot more for a much crappier case before. I got this as a temp case, but i am actually going to keep it. Fits well like it was meant to be there.

10. diabolic macrumors 68000

Yes, they are expensive.

As far as a case goes, I like the bumper so far. It sounds like a lot of people are assuming its just a simple loop of plastic or rubber that fits around the phone. Its not.

It's plastic frame has rubber on the edges, and built in metal buttons. On the phone, it is very sturdy and looks good. Just letting people know it is quite a bit more than just a loop of rubber.

11. d.shorty1 macrumors member

i thought the same as you OP at first. Price was rediculous, so it seemed. I picked up a black bumper to use temporarily til i found a case I really liked. But when I got the bumper on, I was amazed at how it looked on the phone, cheap rubber/plastic or not. It really is amazing. The bumper specifically does everything I want it to do. It leaves all of the front and back open to show off, and it hides that hideous antenna design...not to mention those ugly ass seams! all while protecting the phone from skin interference and moderate drops. I'm so pleased with how the bumpers actually look, I just ordered my 2nd (white). Currently black on black with IS front and back. Flame me all you want, but as others have mentioned, some other cases are more expensive. Just my 2 cents from my experience.

Oh yeah, I do not have a problem plugging in my headphones or my charger with the bumper on..as other members have stated.:D

12. chembox macrumors 6502a

this post brought to you by Apple, Inc.

13. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

14. d.shorty1 macrumors member

like i said man, flame all u want. I am happy with my purchases.

15. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Whaddya think about this:

Soon Apple will come out with a Product[RED] Bumper for the iPhone 4... I'm betting on it. ;)

16. Sedin macrumors member

I guess it's kinda hard to believe that people might genuinely like the product and want to share their experience with others. Real shocker, apparently.

17. diabolic macrumors 68000

Remember, Apple is apparently evil now. :rolleyes:

18. chembox macrumors 6502a

sarcasm; please learn it.

19. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

I too forked out $29 for a bumper...and was concerned I just paid almost $30 for a piece of plastic.

But.....I've got to say....it's a very sleek...high quality piece of plastic. Looks very nice...fits nicely...has very nice built it metal buttons...and it is very stealth (doesn't add any bulk to the overall size)...so I think it's great! I like it a lot.

It does the job of protecting the iPhone all around also. It has no back but when you set your iPhone down it sits on the outer rim of the bumper....so it provides all the protection I need.

Is it worth $30? Probably not. But I spent a lot more for various cases for my 3GS and I like this better. I do know I'd rather pay $30 for this than $15-$20 bucks for a lot of the cheap plastic sleeves out there.

20. Sedin macrumors member

Find your shift key. Use it.

21. ogdogg macrumors 6502

Ya, I thought it was a ripoff until I got one. Really high quality with special buttons. Definitely costs more than $2 to manufacture.

22. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

almost like it was designed from the get go....like to cover the antenna.....

I'm seeing allot of rationalization going on but we all know deep down, in our heart of hearts that it is not remotely worth 29$ More like 10$ probably. I think its nuts people are rationalizing the 29$..... /facepalm

23. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

It is very high quality. I originally bought one with the intent of using it. I'm currently looking to sell it though because the Wrapsol Ultra gives all the protection I need.

24. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

What color? Pm me and maybe we can work something out.

25. Sinfire macrumors regular

Bumpers are way over priced. For $25 you can get a proper case that will protect the back from scratches, and you will have a bigger chance of your iPhone surviving when it gets dropped on the ground.