580EX II, 430EX II or none?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by NZed, Aug 25, 2012.

1. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

So I've come to the point where I need an external flash. Or i think i do.

Photojournalism, some studio shots(controlled environment), portraits, light fashion shoot from time to time.

I can justify the point of a 580, but will I use it to its maximum ability all the time?
    But then the 430EX is also justified, but what if i need a little more?

It seems the 580 will do, but what are your opinions?

Any recommendations, tips and tricks is more than welcome.

Thanks!

2. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

I don't have much experience with flashes, but if you're in a controlled environment maybe look into have external studio flashes or external continuous lighting.

Here's a cheap yet reliable set, take a look: http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-...14081&sr=1-1&keywords=cowboy+studio+light+kit

3. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

If you're going to do the photojournalism thing, I'd go for the 580 especially if you can get work to pay for it.

4. M0cked macrumors newbie

5. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Get a used 580 on craigslist or FM buy/sell forums.

The 430 feels flimsy and cheap compared, not to mention the increased flexibility the 580 offers.

6. NZed thread starter macrumors 65816

NZed

Just another question, if you guys can help me out.

How much does a 580 ex ii go for? I was able to get a deal for about 320 dollars. It was used lightly and out of warranty.

7. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Might would go with the new 600RT incl. transmitter for off-center shots.

Tis&Tricks: I start to ignore the ETTL and pure go manual. Seems that Nikon has a better flash metering compared to Canon. Have more consistent result in manual mode for flash. But I'm also still learning.

There is a nice book: Speedlighters Handbook; have it as Kindle version.

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I don't often use flashes that much as I prefer outdoor/lots of sunlight shooting. The times that I do shoot in lower light situation, my 430 EX II works great for me. While not as flexible as the 530, it does the job well enough for me. Since you're into photojournalism, might be best to just pony up and get the 530 so you'll have it at your disposal. Again, not much of a flash user but my needs are purely recreational at best. Since you're a bit more pro oriented than me, just get the 530 and be done with it.

9. M0cked macrumors newbie

You can get a refurbished 580EX II for $339.99 w/ 30 day warranty? But if you do the Canon Loyalty Program, can get another 20% off. So you could get it for $271 +tax/shipping/etc...

10. pakyooh macrumors 6502

pakyooh

Loyalty Program? How does that work?

11. M0cked macrumors newbie

Basically you have an old canon camera that doesn't work, you call them up, give them the S/N number of the broken camera, you get 20% off the refurbished price, you pay for what you want, and with you order comes a box. You throw in the broken camera and you keep your discount, if you don't do it, they charge you the 20%.

Better description can be found HERE

12. NZed thread starter macrumors 65816

NZed

Yea I looked into that. Its been out of stock for a while.

13. Hioctane macrumors newbie

I'd recommended going for the 580EXII, I've got one and a MkI and they work great both on and off camera. Go for the best you can afford at the time.
    I started with a 430EX but found it a little under powered in some situations.

The new 600 (inc wireless) is way over priced IMHO, plus you have to fork out for the trasmitter too in order to use the wireless functions!

Get the 580EXII and a mid-priced wirless system. Don't go too cheap on the wireless as they can be a bit rubbish. I wasted money on the cheap ones :(
    You can always add a 430EXII later for a dual light setup.

But don't leave it too long to purchase one as I'm sure I read that Canon had discontinued the 580EXII.

14. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I have the 430EX II, and there are some features of the 580EX II that I could definitely use, mainly the swiveling head (the 430 rotates 180 degrees counter clockwise and only 90 clockwise, while the 580 rotates 180 in each direction), the ability to act as a master (the 430 can only be used as a slave) and the ability to attach a dedicated battery pack since the 430 can only run on AA batteries.

If you don't need these features, then get the 430EX II, since it's a perfectly capable flash. I've been very happy with mine!

15. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

+1 on 580EXII. Love the power and focus for shooting wildlife.

16. M0cked macrumors newbie

Another note, is see if you know anyone that has one or rent one for a day or two and see which one you like if you're that unsure. Even if you buy used and don't like it, you can still sling it for the price that you paid it for and break even. So plenty of possibilities where it won't 'hurt' you.

17. Pompiliu, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

I'd go with the 580. I have 3 and i'm quite happy with them. :)

Two advices when buying a flash:
    1. Never ever buy a used one.
    2. Don't buy crappy cheap chinese flashes. Buy Canon (if you're using a canon camera). There's a reason why a crappy flash costs 100 bucks and a Canon one costs 400. As a pro, you just can't trust them.

And don't forget to have some spare batteries with you. I always have 10 extra eneloops with me.

18. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I concur with the advice to buy the 580EXII. I own one and I love it. M0cked recommended Amazon.com. I concur with his recommendation. Amazon.com is not so much a vendor as it is an aggregator. The equipment that you order from Amazon.com may be shipped from any number of big name and mom & pop camera stores. As a result, your equipment list will cost you less when ordered from Amazon.com than from just about any other single point of sale--except maybe eBay.

19. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

The 600EX-RT's only look 'over priced' until you start using them. Then they are a bargain. No more pocket wizards, just set up your lights and control them from the camera position, it's all too easy. Best camera gear I ever bought bar none.

20. NZed thread starter macrumors 65816

NZed

Why shouldn't I buy used? If the conditions good although its out of warranty, all the function performs why not?

Anyways, I got a pretty slick deal for $320. Might go with it

21. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

+1 for Speedlighters Handbook. Although it'll make you want more light modifiers.

22. NZed thread starter macrumors 65816

NZed

Went through with the deal and got it. The guy discounted another 10 more since he doesnt have the stand. Great flash+ its not in stock in my local camera store anymore.

23. wolfpuppies3 macrumors 6502

If you want a 580 DX it will have to be a used purchase as they no longer make them.

I have two each of the 580 DX and 600 EX as well as a 270 EX II (for my little G1X Canon) and a MT 24EX for macro use. Each has it's place and function. Know that the 580 was not radio frequency connected, only optically, if you use multiples or a Speedlite transmitter for off camera flash.

24. NZed thread starter macrumors 65816

NZed

At the time of the post, my local store still had them at reduced price. I bought one used anyways.

25. NiKeZz macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

There is nothing wrong with buying them used. I've bought a majority of my lighting equipment used. When it comes to flashes, if they didn't break in the first month of use then they could last years.