5870 and display connections

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ricko101, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Ricko101 macrumors member

So I have the HD 5870 on a 3.1 Octo. I have the DVI connected to A 27" Acer (works fine), and the MDP to a Samsung SyncMaster 226.
    Using the MDP to DVI adapter won't work on either port. I tried the regular MDP to DVI and the $99 Apple MDP to DUAL link DVI adapter.
    However, if i use the MDP to DVI adapter connected to a DVI (female) to DVI (male) adapter, it does !!!

Can anyone explain this ?

Also, I tried the same thing from my MacBook Pro connected to my Panasonic Plasma TV with a DVI to HDMI adapter having the same situation.

What does the DVI to DVI do that solves the problem? Hopefully this will help others not being able to use a second and/or third monitor.

2. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

That sounds odd, and I can't explain it.

I have the 5870 in an '09 Quad, with a 30" ACD hooked to the DVI, and a 22" Dell (cheap-o) hooked to the outer MiniDisplayPort, since I read a post that said the outer MDP was the primary port. The Dell is actually connected to a DVI KVM switch, so I can use it with my PC on occasion, which mostly collects dust under my desk. Anyway, it works, and I've never tried using the middle MDP on the 5870, yet.