5870 + ATi 2600 not working

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sboerup, Aug 24, 2010.

1. sboerup macrumors 6502

Just received my hexacore + 5870 today . . . booted fine and then I put my ATi 2600xt in the slot just above (where it was on my 2008 MP with the 4870) and it will boot, it will get past the Apple logo, but then it will go to the blue screen just before the user login appears and it will hang . . . indefinitely.

Do I need to put it in another slot? Anyone have any idea why this doesn't work?

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I've got a feeling this is because the 2600XT only has 32 bit kernel support. I think Apple released a firmware update a while ago for it so I'd recommend you try to download and flash that in your older Mac Pro.

You could also try booting up your new machine with the 32 bit kernel although I don't recall how to do this.

3. sboerup thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I'm only keeping it until my 2 Dual-link DVI adapters arrive . . . so, no big deal if I can't use it. Just curious why this might be, if it was in the wrong PCI slot or something . . . the 32bit kernel makes sense (hold down 3+2 on restart to boot into 32bit I think, fyi).

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I know 6+4 boots the 64 bit kernel but I've never tried 3+2. It makes sense though although I don't even know if the new Mac Pros support the 32 bit kernel since they're the first macs to default to the 64 bit one. Should do though since they're effectively just 2009 Mac Pros with a firmware update and those defaulted to the 32 bit kernel.

5. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

You have an official Apple 5870? Can you PLEASE dump the ROM so the card flashing community can start work? You'll be a hero.

Contact NetKas: http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=129471
    or Cindori: http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=153120

for instructions. :D:D:D

6. sirnh macrumors regular

If you go to netkas's page, netkas.org, you will see that he has had the ROM image since late last week. The last time I checked, they haven't had a successful flash, yet.

7. sboerup thread starter macrumors 6502

8. sboerup thread starter macrumors 6502

So would this also confirm that ANY card that Apple has offered before the 5770 and 5870 will NOT be compatible with the 64bit EFI?

9. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Oh, they still need the ROM from the 5870 upgrade kit. Not sure why that would be different. Sorry for the confusion.

10. sboerup thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE:

Spoke with AppleCare about the issue. Escalated to a supervisor who at least understood some technical things. I asked him if he could ask the engineers (or whoever would know) if the issue is with 64bit kernel. He then told me my previous 2008 MP (which the 2600 came from) supported booting into 64bit so that shouldn't be the issue (which makes sense).

So, anyone else have any thoughts? He said it would take a few days to get back to me with an answer, unless anyone else might know the issue.

11. sboerup thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE:

Apple called me back and said this was a configuration that they haven't tested and that it is an "unsupported" configuration. Strange is all I have to say.