5870 crossfire success stories? (for windows side)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by OMGWTFBBQ, Nov 15, 2010.

1. OMGWTFBBQ, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

OMGWTFBBQ macrumors member

OMGWTFBBQ

Hi MacRumor members,

Now that the Mac 5870 version is shipping, has anyone found or personally had any installation success stories? I am interested in running two 5870 cards in crossfire in order to increase gaming performance when booted into windows.

I am aware that there would be no increase in performance in os x.

I have been reading through the threads in this forum (and others), but there seems to be disagreement of: a.) whether the current power supply in the 2010 Mac pro (and late 2009) can support the two cards, or if installing another power supply in the optical bay would be necessary, and b.) whether there are two pci x16 2.0 slots that can be used concurrently, or if one or both will be x8, which would be no good.

So, has anybody successfully implemented a crossfire? If so, how?

Also, would it be possible to instead install a single card (ultimately more powerful than two 5870 cards in crossfire) that has recently been released; to be used as a dedicated card for windows, connected to some sort of DVI switch box for my single 30 inch Cinema display-- allowing for easy switching between the os x and windows card?

Thanks so much for any help, I really appreciate it.
    ~Jake

As a side note: apparently those who have already received their newly shipped 5870 cards have found two power cables

2. goMac macrumors 603

People have received two power cables, no crossover cable. The card has a crossfire port, however.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I didn't get a Crossfire connector, only 2 power cables.

4. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Crossfire under windows should be attainable. I remember a user by the name of matthewrusso who was able to achieve crossfire with two Apple 4870s with the use of a second power supply that fits in the optical drive bay.

5. OMGWTFBBQ thread starter macrumors member

OMGWTFBBQ

Thanks very much, I'll give that a look. Still, I'm curious if anyone has been successful with the 5870 series.

Cheers

6. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I have two 5870s coming in tomorrow. All I would need would be a OD power supply and I'd be tempted :D

7. OMGWTFBBQ thread starter macrumors member

OMGWTFBBQ

Oh man, you should definitely give it a shot. It would be awesome to definitively put this question to rest. How much money is the necessary power supply?

On a side note: Are you using these two cards for different computers?

8. crw macrumors member

I am planning to test this configuration out as well. I have a 5870 on order and an optical bay aux power supply. I hope to receive them before the weekend.

9. neckarb macrumors regular

I got it working great with a 5870+5970 trifire set up in windows, with an optical drive PSU :)

10. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

What optical drive PSU unit do you have? Has it been safe to use... i.e. not caused any crashes or anything of the sort?

11. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Where can I purchase a crossfire bridge cable here in Canada?

12. crw macrumors member

I'd go to eBay. There are tons of sellers and you can find them for less than $10 (US).

13. OMGWTFBBQ thread starter macrumors member

OMGWTFBBQ

Awesome!

That is fantastic! I didn't know that you could do a crossfire with two different cards. I appreciate the response. Cheers.

14. svale macrumors member

Be aware that you can't CrossFire just any two cards. They need to be of the same generation.

This compatibility chart has more details: http://game.amd.com/us-en/content/images/crossfirex/CF_combo_chart.jpg

Of note, you can't CrossFire a 5770 and 5870 together.

15. jadolfo macrumors member

i cant find one optical drive PSU.
    Anyone kwon where to find one
    tnks

16. neckarb macrumors regular

17. vicentk macrumors regular

vicentk

waiting your test report

18. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

As I posted in another thread, this is my only question but its rather important:

I'm getting both cards today and really want to try crossfire but before I go ahead and order a second modular PS I want to know if this poses any danger to my system like can it short circuit and ruin all components. I don't get how the second power supply will work. When the computer turns off will it do so as well and when I press the power button on the mp will it start both ps at the same time?

19. neckarb macrumors regular

Well I can't see any issues with mine, it turns off when the computer turns off as it is partially powered by the computers PSU, as it's essentially just an optical drive. I really havent had any problems with it, as it only draws the same ammount of power from your PSU as an optical drive would and the rest comes from a socket.

20. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

But don't you need to plug it into a power outlet via the power cord?

21. neckarb macrumors regular

Yes you do....?

22. crw macrumors member

The modular PSU is powered externally. It has a connector for the same 4-pin power connector that an optical drive uses that it uses as a trigger to turn on-and-off (i.e. when there is power on that when you turn the computer on it switches on). There is no danger of a short circuit other than the same danger you have for anything connected electrically to your computer (such as your monitor, ethernet cables, etc.). I would plug it into the same surge protector or UPS that your computer is connected to though.

23. neckarb macrumors regular

Yep. I should really get a UPS, what's the point of a surge protector, I've never seen the value?

24. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I just ordered the modular power supply, SATA to MOLEX power cable and the crossfire bridge. We shall know if Crossfire works within the next few days.