5870 or 5880 for new Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by StofUnited, Aug 9, 2010.

1. StofUnited macrumors member

I am considering a new Mac Pro - and though i have run thru lots of forum discussions here - I have not found one that discusses the advantages of getting the 5870 over the 5770 for a new buyer.

Can anyone help me understand how the 5870 might improve the performance of the Mac Pro when working in:

1 - in general
    2 - Handbrake/iMovie/itunes/MPEG Streamclip, etc.
    3 - FCP, CS5

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Stock card will be more than fine. The apps you list do not really tax the GPU but rather the processor.

3. telequest macrumors regular

What about Apple Motion (part of FSC) and Adobe After Effects (part of CS5)? I was under impression that they relied heavily on the GPU (or may just Motion, less sure about AE).

Even if that's true, would the 5870 really make much difference over the stock 5770 for Motion and AE? I realize that it has approx double the power, but I'm concerned about heat and noise with a larger card if there's not a lot of real benefit to my work.

I do no gaming so that's not a concern for me. Thanks.

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Not to hijack, but I want to add another app to the list...how's Aperture fit in here? Will the stock 5770 perform noticeably similar to the 5870 or is the jump worth it?