Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
So for fun I decided I'd try my old crt monitor on the new 5870 (figured it'd be nice to hold toolbars in). I hooked it up via the mini display port->vga adaptor (apple branded) I use for my mbp, the issue is that I cannot get it to work on osx, and I got it it work once on windows... it works just peachy on my mbp though.
Is there any known issue with vga output on the mdp?
It isn't mission critical to get it to work so I can leave it at that but could this be a sign there is something wrong with my mdps? (I use the dvi link for my main lcd)...

xyzzy-xyzzy

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2010
My old system has two 17" vga's. I wanted to share one of them with my mac pro through a kvm. Prior to getting the kvm I hooked one of my vga's (a 17" Samsung SyncMaster 753DF) directly to my 5870 through one of those apple mDP->vga adaptors to make sure it would work. If I recall I needed to play around a little bit with the displays preference panel (sync rates, detect displays) until my mac pro "got the message" ;) It worked. So now I do have a vga sharing both my mac pro and my old system through a kvm.

So, bottom line, yes, based on my experience, I would expect your vga to work through the vga adaptor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.