Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevo0o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
So my brand new late 2008 MBP is coming.

This is my first mac (in fact, my first notebook), so can someone kindly list the things that I should check as soon as the notebook arrives? Like what types of defects should I look for immediately so that I can take it back to Apple for repairs and whatnot in the first few days that I'm with it.

I would REALLY appreciate it if you guys can include both late2008-MBP-specific issues AND general notebook issues I should be aware of.

Thanks a lot!

TheCakeIsALie

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
After you open the packaging box of the new MBP:
  • Check the exterior finish for dents/imperfections/scratches
  • Check the backside to see if the battery cover fits well
  • Open up the screen and check the keyboard, make sure it is not crooked (especially the top row)
  • Check the battery indicator light on the left side
  • Check the glass cover on the screen for scratches/dents/imperfections
  • Turn it on and check Airport Extreme by connect to the Internet
  • Get the latest OS X update specifically for the unibody MBPs
  • Check for dead pixels using this link here
  • Check the trackpad clicks/gestures, as well as backlit keyboard
  • Check the internal temperatures using iStat Pro
  • Try switching GPUs and check internal temperatures using iStat Pro under both situations
  • Insert the OS X recovery disc into the SuperDrive and check the disc.
  • Insert a music CD into the SuperDrive and check for sound quality (any hissing or pops)
  • Put the MBP to sleep, check the sleep indicator light and whether there are any complications (eg. laptop remains hot)
  • Use it for a period of time and see if any of the above problems arise

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Bookmarked here too. Although, I'll be scared to go through all of this when my MPB arrives for fear of it failing any of the points!

stevo0o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Thank you very much for the quick response. I will definitely check up on every single bullet point on that list.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I guess it would be a good thing for everyone to have a common thread for these early checks.

Always better now than later, and better later than never...

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
bookmarked

Me too.

It appears Apple is the Volkswagen of computers. Just like a top-of-the-line Jetta is faster and fancier than a Honda Civic, so too is an MBP to (most) Thinkpads.

But like the MBP, a VW is known for its quirks and flaws. :D

I was really hoping for a BMW. :D

sk47

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
Very very helpful points here. I also vote for a sticky because this will benefit everyone in the present and in the future.

andrewdale

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Memphis, TN
Another vote for stickiness being applied to this thread.

It might cut down on some of the "I just got a mac, what should I look for" threads.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
What about calibrating the battery ? is that supposed to be done when we receive the notebook ?

Tex

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
^Based on what I've read, I would like to add

• Make sure your dvd/cd goes in straight
  • Make sure your screen doesn't flicker at different brightness levels
  • Install a game and check to see whether your macbooks shuts itself or the screen off

stevo0o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
  • Check if all ports are fully functional (USB, Firewire, Ethernet, Audio in/out, etc)

happyprozak

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
Yay more things to add oh what joy.

Check to make sure the screws in the back are all there and are flush with the body.

I'm having some serious doubts whether to go ahead and buy a mbp now. In a way I kinda wish I didn't read these forums.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
I'm having some serious doubts whether to go ahead and buy a mbp now. In a way I kinda wish I didn't read these forums.
Why ? I got my MBP last week and I love it. The "only" thing is the f**** glossy screen. Except this, I'm realy enjoying my switch to OSX :)

happyprozak

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
Why ? I got my MBP last week and I love it. The "only" thins is the f**** glossy screen. Except this, I'm realy enjoying my switch to OSX :)

why? Simply because of all the damn problems that keep popping up. Just look at the checklist. Someone else made another thread with a poll and according to that thread the poll shows a 12% rate of problems. I'm sure it's higher than it really is but after hearing about sleep issues, screws falling out, getting random screen shut downs when playing games, getting random black boxes etc it gets scary.

The new mbp is 3 weeks old? In a year they are all going to fail LOL. I know apple will fix the problems but it'll suck being without my computer for weeks while it gets fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.