Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polythene pam

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
Florida
I've been eyeing the iPod touch and was just wondering from those of you who already own one, how will Apple make this thing better when they release the next generation (probably Fall 09)?

It seems a complaint about the 1G was the lack of external volume control, which was added for 2G. Any blatant problems with the current version that will be addressed by Apple?

It seems obvious to expect that the 3rd gen will be even thinner and with larger capacities for the current prices. I guess they could increase the screen resolution but at that size I wonder if it would make a difference. Is there a chance future generations will be able to support flash-based websites?

Thanks!

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Almost anything is possible. I didn't think gen2 was worth upgrading, but if they had enabled bluetooth 2.0 for headphones and such I'd have bought one in a second. I don't think they'll make it any thinner, as that would compromise battery size/life.

I'm more interested in gen 5. By then it'll be thin membrane that uses the minute charge in your body to power OLED screen and the rest . You'll wear it like a glove. ;-)

dckj95

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2008
iPod Touch 3rd Generation

anyone have any rumors about a new generation of ipod touch coming soon?

cuz im most likely getting one for christmas and i dont want mine to get outdated too fast. :D

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
FAKE!
an mp3 player would not ever have 3G, thats a cellular network frequency and why would an mp3 player make phone calls??!?
i can see a GPS in it but no way theres 3G unless its the new iPhone, definetly fake,
and besides that pictures is not the way apple would make theres and, besides now is not the time they would even begin starting to make advertisements like those

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
anyone have any rumors about a new generation of ipod touch coming soon?

cuz im most likely getting one for christmas and i dont want mine to get outdated too fast. :D

I wouldn't think there would be a new generation until September next year, that's when Apple traditionally revamps their iPod line.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
new one came out in september. that's when Apple usually updates the iPod line. iPhone is usually around June/July with announcements in January/MW Expo. My friend let me use his 2G and it totally rocks. Much better than my 1G and makes it feel clunky in comparison.

pkagel

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
SoCal ExPat
Clunky, give me a break. They are exactly the same the same size! The new one gives you external speakers which are pretty nice but my older one can be charged by any charger.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Clunky, give me a break. They are exactly the same the same size! The new one gives you external speakers which are pretty nice but my older one can be charged by any charger.

New one is 0.5mm thicker than the 1st gen, so although it doesn't seem like much technically they are different sizes. The tapered edges on the 2g makes it feel much better to hold, also.

big-blue-wolf

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
15.8 miles from Molineux

I reckon its a very good fake.

The thing that gives it away for me is the original, reflective dock which was on the 1g touch before the option to rearrange your icons was available.

Edit: The specs on that 'new' touch read more like an iPhone to me and as Apple's flagship hand-held device it would (and usually does) get all the best upgrades before the touch.

j.smith1185

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2008
battery...

I want a longer battery life and over the air sync with iTunes. And the feature to download eBooks from iTunes because of all the ebook readers coming out. Shake to shuffle might be nice.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
I want a longer battery life and over the air sync with iTunes. And the feature to download eBooks from iTunes because of all the ebook readers coming out. Shake to shuffle might be nice.

more for apps would be ok, but i think 36 hrs for music is the most their fitting in that small of a device unless they use like silver zinc or w/e that new kind is.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I think we'll just see improved battery life, possibly Bluetooth support, and probably a marginally thinner case. And higher capacities, of course.

A 128GB iPod touch would be great, and probably end the era of the iPod classic.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Camera
Improved speakers
Improved battery
64GB
Copy/paste
Bluetooth
Software 2.5
Etc.

@bbmertz...
Texting? You're kidding right?
Dude, it's not an iPhone.

Dejavu

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
I'd like to see a higher rez screen, faster processor and external speakers. Battery life could be improved if they go with oleds and thinner chips. Storage will double and maybe lower prices.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I think we'll just see improved battery life, possibly Bluetooth support, and probably a marginally thinner case. And higher capacities, of course.

A 128GB iPod touch would be great, and probably end the era of the iPod classic.

I'd like to see a higher rez screen, faster processor and external speakers. Battery life could be improved if they go with oleds and thinner chips. Storage will double and maybe lower prices.

The capacity of an iPod touch has never changed at the same time a model has been released.
The last time capacity was increased was MWSF '08, and that was to 32GB.
It is suspected that a 64GB model will be released at MWSF '09.
If that does happen then we have great reason to believe that a 128GB model will be released not during fall '09 but rather MWSF '10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.