$599 Pricing for "upgrade"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DiamondGCoupe, Jun 16, 2010.

1. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Pre-ordered iPhone 4 yesterday via Apple.com was charged the $599 price with a $399 upgrade date of 11/2010. When ordering the phone it does say 2-year contract required but on the order status it says "Without AT&T Rate Plan"

Most of you seem to be confused. I understand what a contract is but AT&T/Apple has always offered current iPhone customers the $399/$499 price point when upgrading regardless of how much time is left on their contracts. I've read a few places that mention this price was because of all the server errors yesterday and before the phone ships Apple will only charge us $399...? I of course want to sign a new 2-yr contract (and no you don't have to wait until the 18th month to do so) but should I cancel with Apple and do this through AT&T because I know Apple isn't going to give me credit once it ships etc..

2. kvasir macrumors regular

Preordered mine through the AT&T store. I'm a current iPhone 3GS user and I couldn't get the $399/$499 price through Apple. I have a FAN account, so the iPhone 4 wouldn't show up in Premier. So I had to do the in-store, carbon copy order. I got the $499 price for the 32gb charged to my CC this morning. Received my confirmation email today as well.

Not sure why that happened, but looks like I'll still get one. Not really worried if I'll get it on the 24th or not.

3. Glert macrumors member

My update date was showing 11/2/10 but I was getting the $599 price. Called AT&T (got right through though it was premier) they saw the problem but said that I had to go to a company store (not an "authorized reseller"). Hit the one down the road from my house, manager did an override and I got a preorder for $199. They did say that ONLY AT&T company stores can do this and the manager has to do an override so you can't do it through Apple.
    That said, the experience at the AT&T store was great, I was there in the evening and got taken care of right away. They took the order on paper and I got an email a couple hours later.

4. DiamondGCoupe thread starter macrumors 6502

I was told the same thing, I cancelled the $599 and will be heading to an AT&T store. I'm just wondering if I go to an Apple store at some point will they be able to sell it to me for the $399 price or must I go through AT&T with a premier account?

5. Glert macrumors member

Nope, I asked the same thing as I wanted to go through Apple too. She said they couldn't do anything to make the account show right, they had to override it there on the spot.

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

I went to the AT&T store and they told me their is nothing they can do for my $599 price. Oh well, my luck.

I'm out for $599.

7. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

I've had my 3GS for 5 months. They told me it would be $399 + a 2-year contract.

8. dojoman macrumors 65816

So you guys all have upgrade date sometime in 2010 correct? My preorder from Att is $599 without 2-yr contract because upgrade date is 2/2011. I still don't get why some of you had 3GS 5 months ago and able to get iPhone 4 for early upgrade. Are you on family plan or paying over $100 a month?

9. ktex1968 macrumors member

I'm in the same boat. Got the 3GS last year with the early upgrade option and now I can only get the $599 until November. I went to my local ATT store as well, they couldn't over ride that price. I have been speaking with ATT and they've escalated my case as my contention is that they are giving out false information with the whole - "Yes, any current iPhone subscriber is eligible to upgrade early" business. Any suggestions would be welcomed. :(

10. sillyrabbit137 macrumors newbie

i would take the early upgrade stuff with a grain of salt for now. it seems like many are getting it rejected while others are getting it 'manually' but manual doesnt guarantee anything since its not in the system. im in the same boat but ill be waiting to try again once white comes out.

11. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

For those that are ordering black just to "rent" the phone until white comes out, you suck! Lots of people want black as their first choice and your not helping by buying and returning. Have a little patience! For those who are doing this and don't care what I am saying, I hope you damage the phone so they can't accept the return! :D

12. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

You could own a 3GS for a week and still get the $399 (16GB / black) upgrade + a 2-year extension. The only way I would pay $599 would be for non-contract.

13. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I was able to get AT&T to do a manual upgrade at the 399/499 price. My full upgrade was 2/2011 because I had gotten the 3GS on launch as a early upgrade.

14. mstrze macrumors 68000

I am not ready for a new phone yet as my 3G is working just fine thank you very much BUT I did go on the AT&T website yesterday to see if I was eligible to upgrade and it turns out I am. I can get a 16GB 4G for $199...not $399. Is that normal? I keep hearing $399-$599 and was surprised to see it priced that low.

15. dojoman macrumors 65816

It is no contract.

16. Glert macrumors member

Originally my date was 2/11 but then about a week ago it changed to 11/10 so they honored the pricing. Not sure what happened, I did an early upgrade for the 3GS last year but I'll take it as I got lucky :) :apple:

17. kg911 macrumors newbie

my situation is worst

So I bought the iphone about a year ago and after a few weeks I decided to do a bb. With this release and with the video floating around saying anyone with an iphone can get early pricing for 199/299. Now although I had a bb plan, I was going back n forth with both phones. I can justify I am an iphone user and it has been esculated with att. What are your thoughts?

18. dojoman macrumors 65816

damn it! I am eligible for early upgrade after all but Att store would have to do manual override and they are not taking anymore preorder. and I can't cancel my $599 from att. what to do?

19. bstpierre macrumors 6502

The $199/$299 price is for any iPhone plan with an upgrade eligibility date in2010 or earlier. Do you meet the date requirements? Do you have the iPhone data plan or is your data plan called something else?

20. bstpierre macrumors 6502

$199 is the price for full upgrade eligibility. If you are upgrading early it is $399. $199 is the correct price for you.

21. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Anytime you upgrade, the contract is extended. That is unless you know somebody on the inside.

22. kg911 macrumors newbie

I do have an upgrade for sept this year, and I had a iphone plan but once I registered for my bb it switched me to tht data plan. However I can use my bb data plan on iphone when I take sim card out. So they would not know tht I'm using an iphone. The video also states iphone user (which I am) and does npt specify iphone plan.

23. Tilt macrumors member

For me I purchased a 3g referb for my wife and I last september. They allowed me to upgrade the main line for $199/$299. I think it might also have to do with the money you spend plus I have a premier account. I have 5 accounts on my plan 2 iphones.

24. dojoman macrumors 65816

You have no clue what you're talking about. I'm not technically upgrading. 599/699 is no contract price. If I bought an unlocked Sony Ericsson phone from Amazon for $500 does it extend the contract automatically? NO? It's the same thing.

25. mstrze macrumors 68000

Thanks for the clarification!:)