5A345 ipsw for 3G, or way to backup fw?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NathanA, Jul 13, 2008.

1. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Hey everybody,

(sorry, iphone keyboard pissing me off here...have to post this as-is and pick it up in an edit on my computer...EDIT: finished)

New iPhone user here, and proud owner of a new iPhone 3G 8GB model that I snagged on release day...typing on it now, in fact. :) (It's still taking me a while to get used to the keyboard; hopefully proficiency will come to me soon.)

Like most (if not all) others who purchased a 3G on release day, my iPhone came stock with 2.0 5A345 preloaded on the unit. I realize that there is a "new" firmware release 5A347 on the iTunes/Apple update servers, but I have this strange hang-up about software updates...call me crazy, but (especially when there is no comprehensive Changelog posted) I really don't like installing updates that I can't back out of if something goes wrong (say, an obscure bug is found in the new release that I can't live with). Now, I have managed to find ipsw files for 5A345 for both the iPod Touch and the original iPhone floating around the Internet, but the only firmware file I have managed to find for the 3G model is the 5A347 release.

Before I try loading 5A347 onto my phone, I would really like to have a copy of the original, stock firmware image that my phone shipped with on-hand in case I want to go back to it. I realize that the chances of me needing to go back to it are remote, and that Apple's phobos XML update file "says" that the two firmwares are identical (although it says that for all versions of 5A345 and 5A347 for other devices, even though it is misleading at best...the iPhone 2G and iPod Touch versions of 5A345 differ from their respective 5A347 files in size and content), and that so far there have been no reports of people having worse experiences with 5A347 and wanting to go back. But nonetheless, it seems foolish of me to not keep a copy around.

I have searched and searched and have come up empty-handed as far as a copy of 5A345 for the iPhone 3G. I'm assuming that the 5A345 images for the original iPhone and iPod Touch are easier to find merely because they both had been released as beta versions to people in the developer program and then somebody leaked them. The 5A345 version for the 3G never had a similar fate since no one had a 3G phone to test firmwares on anyway.

Is this a hopeless search? Does anyone have any leads on where I might be able to snag a copy of 5A345 for the 3G? Or, as an alternative, is it possible for me to somehow download and back-up the firmware that is currently loaded onto my iPhone?

Many thanks,

-- Nathan

2. D4F Guest

D4F

Good post.
    Hopefully somebody will post a link.

3. NathanA thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nothing, huh? It's not even possible to back up my existing firmware image from the iPhone?

-- Nathan

4. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

There's nothing wrong with 5A347, it's better that you get that one over 5A345. It's obviously a more updated release, and it will be fine with you installing it. Apple wouldn't have the phone restore to 5A347 if 5A345 was better.

5A347 is the GoldMaster version from what I understand also.