5Big Thuderbolt 1 vs 2Big Thunderbolt 2 ???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GreatDanton, Jul 10, 2014.

1. GreatDanton macrumors newbie

Hi guys.

I'm in the market for a 8 - 12 TB Storage device and I have about £850. Speed is important also as I do video editing and shall be doing an awful lot of this over the next year.

Heres the issue I'm having

The Lacie 2 Big Thunderbolt 2 12TB Costs £799. Its Thunderbolt 2 which is awesome and has pretty much just been released. It promises speeds of up to 420MB/s link to the product here: https://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?id=10624

The Lacie 5Big Thunderbolt (1) 10 TB Costs £799 also. Its older tech, I think it was released more than a year ago, but its actually faster promising speeds of up to 785 MBs. Link: https://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?id=10607

So I'm thinking I want the Thuderbolt 1 drive with much faster speeds only dropping 2 TB for the same price.

But I'm wondering if you guys think this is foolish to go for the older technology, which would you go for?

Thanks for your help and support.

2. FireWire2 macrumors 6502

FireWire2

For the Speed and quiet-ness there is no other chassis can beat this beast... It may be over price but it's a good investment for long run...

1250M ~ 1400MB/s READ/WRITE speed in RAID6
    http://www.amazon.com/Thunderbolt2-Twelve-Hardware-RAID5-Quiet/dp/B00JVI2TI8/

3. docmcallister macrumors newbie

docmcallister

decided for the 12 TB

facing the same decision and after much thought decided for the 12TB 2-disk.

The extra 2TB are significant for me, they increase the likelihood that I will not need another box for a couple years. Also the unit has USB 3.0 which can be used with PCs or older Macs.

Other factors. The TB-2 unit uses hardware RAID while the 5-disk unit uses software RAID. From what I read, there is no big difference in the real world yet hardware RAID is usually recommended over software RAID.

The 5-disk unit seems designed to be used in 3plus2 disks, that makes it appear like two disk units to your computer. I prefer one big thing rather than two, I can use folders and aliases to create logical divisions.

You may partition the 5-disk in different ways than the 3plus2 but realistically there are not many choices. four or five disks on a RAID 0 increase the chances of failure so three would be as far as I would go. RAID 5 is not supported.

4. GreatDanton thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you performed any speed tests with your 2Big, would love to see the results?

5. Ifti macrumors 68000

I'm considering replacing my current my current Drobo 5D for a Lacie 5Big 20TB TB2 drive. Also used for video editing, but i like to keep all my projects and files on the one unit as I regularly refer back to them or need to reuse clips etc. I also prefer hardware RAID5. The 2big looks nice but is limited in RAID solutions for me.

6. twinoneseven macrumors newbie

You may partition the 5-disk in different ways than the 3plus2 but realistically there are not many choices. four or five disks on a RAID 0 increase the chances of failure so three would be as far as I would go. RAID 5 is not supported[​IMG]

7. Ifti macrumors 68000

RAID 5 IS supported with the new 5Big