Resolved 5c battery longevity.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPodJedi, Dec 11, 2013.

1. iPodJedi, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013

iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Let me start with this- I have a 4g iPod touch that I got just a few weeks after the original release. It is 3yrs old now and with brightness on high it lasts 25 minutes surfing the web (if I'm lucky) and it doesn't even work well with games unless I take my portable power "bank" charger for my iPod.

Will the 5c have that same thing happen in a year or two? I had a friend tell me the newest iPhones have a battery that will survive twice as long as the 4g Itouch and should be able to hold its charge just as well as it does now in a couple years???

2. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Kind of impossible to say without 2 years worth of data to look back on. It's unlikely to get that bad but batteries do degrade in time, always will until some revolutionary new tech comes along.

If you're afraid to invest in a device for such a reason you're going to be without a phone for a very very long time.

Best thing you can do is buy Apple Care in the event your battery does fail in time.

3. iPodJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Well my friend said they use a new type of battery that is made to withstand the test of time, just wondering if it is true cuz my iPod touch is absolutely the safest thing on earth cuz the battery hardly lasts 20 minutes after a full overnight charge.

4. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Sounds like the battery in your iPod has lost nearly all of its capacity. If you ever face such an issue on a 5c or any other iPhone, you can always just replace your battery.

To answer your question: most likely that will not be happening to your 5c. For one, you'll have a bigger capacity battery, and two, you won't need to be charging it as much and use your charge cycles as a result.

5. iPodJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I would replace it but...

I would replace it on my touch but apple charges way too much and they give u a refurb so they aren't actually replacing the battery. Same with iPhones

6. 11bE5 macrumors 6502

11bE5

Mines been bad lately and that's doing simple tasks

7. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Next thing to ask, how easy is battery replacement on the 5C? Cheeseburger. It's a nothing, in 2 years, iphone 5 batteries wil be next to nothing and replacing them is extremly simple and easy. As for the iPod Touch 4g, rated VERY DIFFICULT on ifixit.com. One of the hardest devices to fix out of them all. The iPad air makes it on top as the hardest.

8. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Keep in mind that replacing the battery on the 4/4S/5/5C (and mostly the 5S) is relatively easy (it's not too hard on the 3G/3GS, but time-consuming) - easier than it is to change the battery on any iPod touch.

When I was done with my iPhone 4S, I got a new battery from iFixit and then gave the phone to my wife.

When my iPhone 5S hits ~2 years, I will probably buy a new battery for it, as well.