Carrier 5c cdma with sim-slot

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xolo10, May 9, 2014.

1. xolo10 macrumors newbie

hello

i would like to know if a usa iphone 5c cdma can be imei unlocked to a mexican gsm carrier?

i am confused about this since is has the sim-slot and also i found out that that sim slot is for traveling abroad which i suppose mexico would be considered abroad.

iphone 5c
    model-A1456

thank guys

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's up to the operator that sold the phone. I believe that both Verizon and Sprint will unlock for international use if your account is in good standing.

3. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

It might be unlocked already. The 5s was for verizon when I switched to tmobile

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Verizon's iPhones as of 5 (as in 5, 5C and 5S) are factory unlocked from the beginning, and 5C and 5S in particular will support the same LTE bands as the GSM iPhones.

Sprint is locked, and while it's possible to get it internationally unlocked it's often a hassle and doesn't always work out.

5. patt2k macrumors regular

Looks like : A1456 is Sprint.

Verizon models come factory unlocked not Sprint.

6. xolo10 thread starter macrumors newbie

im looking to unlock it using its imei and one of the websites that do that. but i want to know if i will be able to use it with a gsm network here in mexico or if i will have to use it with a cdma network

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have no idea if it will work in Mexico.

But I can tell you that there is no commercial unlock whereby you pay a third party and you get an unlock.

The SIM in a Sprint iPhone is paired with the device. It's possible to get it international unlocked, which is what you want, but as already mentioned that can be difficult, time consuming and not worth it.

But here's what you need to do if you want to go that route.
    1. Establish service with Sprint. You cannot have an ASL account (i.e., bad credit).
    2. Pay your bill on time for 90 days.
    3. Call Sprint and ask for the international unlock.

Anything less means no unlock. Do not waste your time or money on anyone promising you that they can unlock the phone. They can't. Only Sprint can and they will only do the international part.

The only other option is a SIM Interposer, such as a Gevey or an R-SIM. Those devices trick the phone into thinking it's still on the original network by performing a MITM (Man In The Middle) attack on the SIM. But, they are not true unlocks and any time you update you'll need to buy a new interposer.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

If you get Verizon's model you don't have to unlock it or do anything extra, just put in the SIM card from whatever carrier you want to use and you should be good to go. Sprint is a bit more complicated as you'd really want to make sure it's truly unlocked, and that's much harder with Sprint. As of iPhone 5 they can all support GSM (even the CDMA ones), just a matter of whether or not they are actually unlocked (and in some cases what LTE bands they can support, if LTE is important).