5C connector going bad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sedrick, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Even though the connecter plugs in very snugly, every cable I've used only works about half the time. Jiggling it doesn't help, only plugging/unplugging will eventually get the phone to recognize it's plugged in (either to computer, charger or car stereo).

Anyone else have this problem? Any chance of getting a replacement? (still on contract with ATT for another year)

2. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

check with Apple. Make a Genius Reservation and walk in and ask.

not trying to sound like a jerk but that's the only way to find out for sure.

3. Sedrick thread starter macrumors 68030

Sedrick

That's what I guessed, but there isn't an Apple store in my town, so that makes things a bit difficult.

4. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I had the same problem on my iP5. I thought the connection port itself was going bad. I tried multiple cables and even blowing in it to clean it out. Then I read about someone using a toothpick to clean the port. I tried that and, lo and behold, there was pocket lint deep inside the port that the toothpick pulled right out. After that it was as good as new.

5. bransoj macrumors 6502a

This...i was on the verge of heading to the Apple Store but i unbent a paper clip and gave the port a clean. Few big lumps of fluff came out and its worked fine ever since! I kept the modified paper clip on my desk at work and now occasionally give it a quick clean to keep it working fine.

6. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Maybe you got a China lightning charge cord or the cord is broken. Anyways, replacing the lighting port isn't too hard at all.

7. Sedrick thread starter macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Sweet Jeebus was there a lot of lint in there! Wonder if I can get some kind of rubber plug to keep my pocket lint out of there...

8. bransoj macrumors 6502a

It was about 18 months old at the time as it was a launch day iPhone 5 and also part of the power button failure recall so was going to get it sorted via that. Never been in a case etc and always goes in my trouser pocket so it had accumulated a fair bit in that time then compacted in when i've plugged cables in over the time i've had it.

It would work if you wedged a cable at a certain angle hence me thinking it was a broken connection that worked if you wedged it a certain way but quick clean out with the end of a straightened paper clip and i was good to go again.

9. Jeff R macrumors 6502

Jeff R

Use a shop vac (vacuum) to suck up all the lint. All air and won't scratch the connector. I use a vacuum too sometimes on the vents of old computers. Funny but true, works great!