5C - Plastic Backing Discoloration

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mexxdude, Oct 23, 2013.

1. mexxdude macrumors member

I just noticed yesterday that my white 5C started showing discoloration on the upper right corner of the plastic backing. I am not sure if you can see it in the picture. I set up a genius appointment later today. Has anyone encountered it before? I got the phone at launch so I am outside of the 30-day window. Would they still swap it with a new one? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I'd have to see a full, in focus picture to see if its actually discoloring. From that picture I can't tell.

3. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

If it is a true "discoloration" they will swap it out. However if it looks like it's from a drop or something they won't switch it out for just that reason. Honestly if I were you and it bothered me bad enough to be sure I got a new one ... I'd just tell them the speakers cut in and out on occasion. I know it works and they will give you a new one. I'm not saying it's an excuse to use all the time, but anything that happens on "occasion" can't be "checked." Therefore they will run diagnostics and ask you if you restored just tell the. Yes and your out in 10 minutes and happy.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Did you have a case on that iPhone 5C?

Harkening back to the iPhone 3G/3GS days, discoloration on the white case as often blamed on color transferring from a case onto the back of the phone.

5. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

[​IMG]

6. jonAppleSeed macrumors regular

It's not going to stay white like virgin snow forever. Throw it in a case if you don't like it looking dirty.

7. mexxdude thread starter macrumors member

Hopefully this is a better picture. If you stare at the area within the red square, you should see some faint lines.

I don't use a case. And I do clean my phone daily with iKlear. I haven't dropped the phone so the surface is smooth. It almost looks like the lines are underneath the clear coat. My concern is that it will get worse over time.

Attached Files:

8. itjw macrumors 65816

Depends. Obviously no one here will be able to say "yes. pick up your new phone today at 1PM" so it makes it moot what anyone here thinks. I have seen Apple be OVERLY generous at times, and because you bought a phone that they are desperately trying to push because of what it is, they might do it just to make you happy.

If it were me I would try, but I also wouldn't be upset if they said no or only offered to do it for the replacement fee or AC+ charge (assuming you have AC+).

As far as getting a "new" phone: if you get past the first stage that answer is still "probably". They haen't had the rush of returns to be able to refurb the C's yet like they have the S's (which by the way, are almost ALL refurb now, especially in SG), so your odds are good that it is truly a new white box phone and not a refurb YET. That might change soon.

Take it in, try, but don't expect the moon for something that is nearly impossible to see in 2 pictures that are TRYING to show the issue. If it's that slight, you might just have to live with it, especially now that it's been 30 days.

9. 997.2 macrumors regular

Can't see anything. Looks fine, besides the fact that you foolishly bought a 5C

10. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

People can't stay away from doing this? Can they? How is he a fool? Is the iphone 5 a good phone? Yes it is so what makes someone. Fool for buying this one. Every damn thread that mentions 5c someone has to say something....

11. Solitude1984 macrumors 6502

Solitude1984

Oh come on, that's a ridiculous comment.

Anyway OP I can't see anything in either of the pictures, but if it bothers you that much it's worth a try.

12. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I know ... That's what I thought. In this forum you can't have a civil conversation.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't see anything either.

14. astoxos macrumors regular

15. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Ahh come on now. You can hardly see it, if at all!

16. mexxdude thread starter macrumors member

Just came back from Apple store. They swapped my phone with a replacement unit. The Genius was baffled with the discoloration. I was in and out within 10 minutes. I am a happy camper.

17. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

nice to hear you are happy ... love the 5C :apple:

18. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

Discolor Gate??? Im emailing Tim as we speak.