5C sticking around in years to come?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Apr 16, 2014.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Anybody think Apple will maybe hope to keep the 5C for longer? The fashion colours and smaller screen might appeal.

Could they say update it in 2015 with the A7 processor and Iphone 5S camera? Maybe rebrand it to the Iphone C?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No one but the upper mucky mucks at apple truly know the answer to that.

3. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Most likely the 'C' revision will be around for a while, despite what you read/hear the 5C is far from a flop, whilst the sales aren't the same as the 5S it's not the dead horse that people accuse Apple of selling.

Maybe it's more regional, but I see a lot of these phones in Birmingham. I was tempted to get one as I like the plastic case (like I hope a cheaper plastic Macbook will get released again) - but the only thing I didn't like was the black front.

4. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I think it's a good fashion phone market people like the colours and Samsung have lots of colourful phones.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The iPhone 5 isn't around any more. Apple killed it a year after releasing it. :(

But hey, the iPhone 4s IS still around! So, you never know. :mad:

6. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

id like to see it become available in more colors, having 5s internals. i wouldn't get it though.

7. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes like a white front one or maybe a black gloss back like the 3GS?

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

If you meant 5c in reference to form factor and design, then yeah, I can see Apple keeping it in some form (perhaps with some slight modifications) for a while.

If you meant 5c as in the product currently being sold by Apple, I expect it'll replace the 4S as the entry level iPhone later this year and will be replaced in 2015 by whatever is mid-range this year.

9. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yep do you think putting 5S internals into the 5C would be the update rather than a 5C with Iphone 5 internals? Maybe call it Iphone 6C? At a time when they will announce the 6S?

10. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I see a lot of them among college students in the 18-20 range. I'd get one if it keeps the 4" screen and the other offerings don't. I'd probably wait until the 6s year though if it's going to have 5s internals this time around. Not a huge improvement over my 5. Plus it sounds like they need to sort out the case popping thing.

11. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

I think the 5cs will be released with the 5s discontinued. The 5c will continue for a year while the 4s gets dropped. The 5cs will have the A7 chip and the fingerprint scanner. So basically the 5s internals.

The question is if the 6 is going to come in a 4" form factor or if it only comes bigger. My 5 will be two years old in October. I've replaced the battery, but the power button only works 25% of the time. That is a pain. I might try to fix that. But still by the fall I will probably want a new phone.

12. SestoElemento macrumors newbie

Mainly one of the main advantages apple has over its competitors is its timely and long term updates and software support. Secondly the probability of the iphone 5C sticking around is very high due to the fact that there is a lower (8GB) version of it that has begun shipping recently. And I dont think that apple out of all the people would just do something extremely short term or something that would ruin/diminish the experience of the product.

On the other hand they did discontinue the ipad 3 way earlier than expected. But rest assured they will support it. Because they still support the iphone 5 although production has been discontinued.

13. Merkie macrumors 68020

I don't think we'll see a 5CS. De 5C is the cheaper model. It will probably stay around in its current form for two more generations.

14. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

So you think the 5S will be sold next year between the 5C and the 6? I think it makes more sense to put a plastic shell around the 5s and call it the 5cs. It gives you more color options and it differentiates the high end from the low end.

Though that gold phone was pretty popular. They might want to continue making that phone.

15. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

My guess for 2014:

iPhone 6 - $199 / $649 - new hardware

iPhone 6c - $99 / $549 - iPhone 5s hardware in plastic shell

iPhone 5c - $0 / $449 - current iPhone 5c 8GB

16. Merkie macrumors 68020

Maybe the A6 will get upgraded to the A7, but I can't image Touch ID in a C-phone.

17. cynics macrumors G4

You don't use a competing device do you?

I have an old Droid 2 that still gets core app updates.

Apple and the competition have different update models. Each have there own advantages and disadvantages however I wouldn't necessarily says Apple gives long term software support over the competition because they do things different ways. If that were the case I'd expect to see the iPhone 3Gs still getting some updates to core apps. However, its not...

Also the other edge to the update sword is if you have long time OS support then all your devices are limited by the lowest common dominator. Apps written have to work on the iPhone 4. Devs can dumb down the graphics on games and such but in the end it has to work. So the newer models can't really stretch their legs until they get older. By that time updates are being forced to those device and then they are being over powered (iOS 7 and the iPhone 4...."decent" performance).

The iPad 3 is a good example of questionable decisions all around. Mediocre performance out of the box. Graphics in games were dumb down below that of the iPad 2. Yet Apple continues to support it for some reason. Next time you get to handle one open 3D Flyover in NYC and scroll around. Performance is just embarrassing.

18. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

I can't imagine Apple launching a new iOS device without touch ID. It is a great piece of technology and a real differentiator as based on the inferior fingerprint scanners that competitors have put forward in the last few months. If the only C device is going to be the existing 5c, then it won't get touch ID. But any new device is going to have touch ID. It is just too good and too cheap to not include in everything.

19. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I really like the 5C. I wish they would make it with the 5S internals. I much prefer a plastic phone over a metal phone.

20. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I doubt they're going to drop the C naming and meaning for "budget" iPhones anytime soon. Having a seemingly larger lineup without real money loss is not something you'd want to get rid of.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

I thought it was more for "Color" than anything else.

22. Merkie macrumors 68020

So far every post-5S iOS device didn't include Touch ID (new iPads).

23. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

Tech was too new and the demand to put them in iPhone 5s (which sold in the tens of millions per month) was too high. They had to be prioritized for Apple's flagship device. I'm sure Touch ID is going into anything that gets launched next. It will go in new iPod Touches and certainly in all the new iPads. All those devices are high enough margin that there is no reason for them not to have something as basic and highly functional as Touch ID.

----------

That is what I think will happen. I think Apple wants to continue making plastic phones.