Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MilleDav01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
I just sold my 5C for $220 and purchased a very slightly used iPhone 6. Well the screen is bigger, and the phone is much much faster, etc. but I don't know what it is, I think I'm really bored with the iPhone. I came from android and loved it when I switched to the iPhone because of no stutters or lag. I don't want to go back to android but the Nexus six is actually looking pretty good.... My real upgrade is in December so we will see what I decide I guess. anyone have similar feelings? I love my iPhone as well as my MacBook Pro and iPad but I can't help but think they're a little boring. I would never want a Windows computer again but the strides that they have made with windows 10 are nice and I wish Apple would make something comparable to the surface pro.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
You are making a problem out of nothing. It is a phone which is identical to the previous years phone in terms of software. I honestly don't see what the issue is.

What do you expect? Custom iPhone 6 ios skins???

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
If you're "bored" with your phone, then you might need to re-evaluate why you have a smartphone tbqh. There's having a phone for the sake of tinkering with your phone, and then there's having one to do actual stuff with it.

If tinkering is what you want, then jailbreak, or switch back to Android.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

How does a person become "bored" with a phone?

What are you expecting it to do?

It's a tool, it's only as good as you make it.

Unless your idea of entertainment is endless customization and problem fixing...

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
You coming from an Android phone I'd understand why you would find the iPhone boring. But also bored of your MacBook Pro and iPad? :confused:

OP, iOS is not for you. Switch back to an Android smartphone and go back to customizing since I'm assuming that's what you want.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'm sure that the simple act of buying a TV was thrilling for the first decade they existed.

But now, what if someone said they found their Samsung TV "boring" and were thinking about switching to Sony because of that? Most of us would likely back away from that person without making eye contact.

Smartphones are quickly making this same transition. I advise the OP to take a deep breath, get over it, and to start buying clothes with embedded computers if you want the thrill of a brand new industry all over again.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
^ Commodification.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodification

That's the macro-economic term.

It's become a very difficult problem in mature markets, as nondescript differentiation basically makes everything appear the same or similar to most buyers, leading to a lowering of appreciable difference, and making future innovation either essential or pointless. :-|

Essential, in that an industry has to improve to re-differentiate. Pointless, in that virtually anything an industry does may have little to no affect on brands being able to differentiate, so product price deflation follows.

Apple have been doing fairly well in this regard, by offering products that are seen as premium and commanding decent margins above other brands. However, one only has to look at cloud storage ("all you can eat at a single fixed cost" what with MS and recently Amazon, with others duly likely to follow) for an example of where the SAAS (software as a service) models are becoming the important add-ons to making the real money.

Lol, hence why Apple's own software is always an afterthought these days... what with Mail.app not working properly for a great many users through several iterations of OS X; iTunes.app being the same (thinking iTunes Match and metadata loses/failures, for just one example); Podcasts on iOS not syncing or having screwy syncing across devices; iCloud AND iCloud Drive not syncing efficiently either or being user unfriendly; I could go on yadda yadda yadda.

Let's see how well Photos.app works when out of beta for most users... Breath. Holding. Not. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Batman89

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Get a Shumuri colored case (looks like it's part of the phone) and jailbreak it.

Will make the iPhone anything but "boring."

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Whew. Tough crowd here lol!

I think it's a perfectly legitimate feeling to be bored with a smartphone. It's not like any other consumer product. You can't compare it to a TV because no one interacts with a TV like they do their smartphones.

To the OP, try downloading different apps or using it in different ways (ie, get more into photography, or gaming). If that doesn't work, you might want to pick up an inexpensive android phone to play with.

I've been an "iphone guy" since the original. Last year I got a little bored and thought I wanted more abilities in a phone. I tried the Nexus 5 and later an LG G3 and realized that I actually didn't want to spend tons of time customizing and tweaking. So I went back to my iPhone 5S (twice lol).

iPhones are what they are. Great looking devices that do everything really well, and are pretty straightforward. They're never going to throw a bunch of features at you in an effort to "wow" you. That's what Samsung is for :)

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Whew. Tough crowd here lol!

I think it's a perfectly legitimate feeling to be bored with a smartphone. It's not like any other consumer product. You can't compare it to a TV because no one interacts with a TV like they do their smartphones.

To the OP, try downloading different apps or using it in different ways (ie, get more into photography, or gaming). If that doesn't work, you might want to pick up an inexpensive android phone to play with.

I've been an "iphone guy" since the original. Last year I got a little bored and thought I wanted more abilities in a phone. I tried the Nexus 5 and later an LG G3 and realized that I actually didn't want to spend tons of time customizing and tweaking. So I went back to my iPhone 5S (twice lol).

iPhones are what they are. Great looking devices that do everything really well, and are pretty straightforward. They're never going to throw a bunch of features at you in an effort to "wow" you. That's what Samsung is for :)

Wow, well said!

Ease of use and consistent vs. customization and feature dumping.

It all depends on how you want to use your phone.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
What do you expect? Custom iPhone 6 ios skins???
While I'm fairly content with iOS, I'd actually like that. At the very least, I'd like a dark skin without having to resort to the weirdness of "Invert Colors". While I appreciate the "Darken Colors" and "Reduce Whitepoint" options, still wish there was a "Night Theme" option or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.