5D m-ii, vertical lines at high ISO?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MBX, Nov 1, 2009.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Hi,
    anybody else get these vertical lines when shooting video at ISO around above 3200?

I don't get it. Just the other day i tested a friends 5D m-ii at low light with 6400iso and it was very clean and now i got mine and i'm starting to see these vertical lines and noise at 3200.

Any idea?

2. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

Check your firmware on the camera. You may need to update it.

For shooting video ISO3200? 6400? I always try and keep at 1250 or lower with a shutter at 30 and a aperture at 1.8/2.0 This helps keep down the noise and grainy video.

3. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

I have the latest firmware of 1.1.0

What is strange that previously with the 7D i could have iso at around 400-800 in low light conditions and now with 5D to get same results i need to be at iso 2500 or higher.

Maybe it's different the way both cam's handle iso's? Or maybe my 5D is actually something wrong with it? Because i was surprised that i didn't really get a better image at low light than 7D and sometimes it was actually even noisier which was very surprising since the 5D should be superior to 7D in low light.

4. Tralmek macrumors member

Does this problem only show up when shooting video? I have not tested mine with high-iso video, so my input is probably useless when it comes to that.

As far as cutting down noise in video, anthemus's suggested settings are excellent IMHO.

I do have comparison stills of all isos on my company website. http://29kproductions.com/node/694 After updating firmware, I had no issues with vertical banding at high isos. If this happens in your stills as well as your video, and since you've already updated your firmware, my guess would be that it is an issue with your camera.

5. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

Another thought would be to restore to factory settings. Also try a different lens if you haven't already.